Edie Sedgwick #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an email this morning from an old friend who works for an elderly man named Tom, who told him an interesting story the other day. I'm too lazy to summarize, so I'll just quote from the message...

"Tom remained in contact with [old school friend] John and decided to visit him on the Harvard campus that October. It was there he met John's new roommate, Robert from Santa Barbara, CA. Better known as "Bobby" Sedgwick, Tom became good friends with Bobby over the course of their freshmen year. The following year, Bobby invited John and Tom to visit his family's sprawling ranch over the holidays. They drove out there in old beat up Ford 3,000 miles from Cambridge to meet Bobby and the rest of his distinguished family.

Upon their arrival at the estate, they were greeted by an extremely affluent family, "Old, old money who seemed a bit 'offbeat' around the edges, but overall pleasant," Tom said. He met Bobby's father, known to many as "Fuzzy." Overall they enjoyed their two week stay. They would spend their days riding horses, going out into town, and lounging by the pool. Tom noted that one of most gorgeous girls he had ever laid eyes upon was young Edie. She would spend her days endlessly wading in the pool. "She couldn't have been any older than 12 or 13 years of age, and she was extremely slender and drop-dead gorgeous. When she would dive into the pool, her body would just cut through the water and she would barely make a ripple," Tom said. "The only thing that seemed rather odd about her was she'd spend all her time by the pool." He never saw her anywhere else.

I couldn't believe Tom was telling me this! "You knew Edie Sedgwick?!?!?!" He flashed me a big grin. "Oh yes, but at that time, I didn't understand all the abusive behavior that surrounded the family. I later found out her father would simply tell his wife to find another place to sleep for the night while he would **** around with multiple women. He would also have his way with Edie. Tragic, tragic family.""

...This friend of mine is helping Tom sort through his photo archives, and he is positive that there are photos of Edie by the pool somewhere in the collection. Hopefully he'll remember to send them to me and (if it's ok with Tom) I'll post them for you all to enjoy!

^ What a story! Thanks so much (and welcome!!) Isn't it amazing how Edie continues to fascinate us in so many ways, when basically her life and story are very sad and depressing- I often wonder why it is that I can't get enough of her... :unsure:

Wow thanks for sharing that story desertshore! I love hearing stories of how Edie was like. It would be amazing if some photos were found, pictures of her so young are rare!

And it is amazing how she continues to fascinate considering how she was famous for such a short amount of time. I think there are just some people who are just endlessly interesting. Maybe it's because her life was so bizarre in many ways.

Great story, but I feel like I've read this elsewhere. Also, about Five years ago I received an email from some guy who claimed that Andy and Edie went to L.A. and spotted him and picked him up for joyriding and Edie gave him a blow job.

Yeah, it didn't really sound like earth-shattering news to me, either, but I'm willing to give my friend (and his contact) the benefit of the doubt until he does (or does not) provide me with those pictures.

I think someone said something similar in the Jean Stein book about Edie at that age. That she was always by the pool and the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen.

Ive never seen the one of her in the shiny outfit so clear before. I had no idea she was wearing an ear cuff!

onlyediesedgwick @tumblr

^ Thanks! I wonder of their outfits were silver? Wasn't everything in Andy and Edie World silver back in 1965?? :wink:
Did Dylan say he wrote Like A Rolling Stone before he even met Edie? Huh? How could that be...?? He seems to have spent an awful lot of time trying to distance himself from any involvement with Andy and Edie, in spite of what many other people have said... :blink:

I would imagine their outfits would be silver too! :lol: But I actually think I remember reading an old newspaper article that accompanied that picture that described their outfits as being gold. I can't find the article though, so my memory can't be completely trusted. :P

The whole Edie and Bob Dylan thing really confuses me. He definitely was associated with her more than he claims I think. But as to her being the muse for all those songs....I'm completely unsure who to believe.

^ Yes, everyone seems to acknowledge that the story presented in Factory Girl was way off the mark, and it was really Dylan's friend/manager that Edie actually had the raging affair with and that affected her relationship with Andy, but SO much of Blonde On Blonde can easily be about Edie (and she was 'involved' with half of New York in those days) so how Dylan can say he just sort of knew her and doesn't really remember seems like some sort of denial to me...:blink:

Interesting story desertshore. I'd love to see more photos of Edie from that period, pre-Factory. By all accounts she was breath-taking as a blossoming young thing.

For you other Edie junkies. Coz, come on, that's what we all are! :wink: [Note those huge sunglasses on her head/hat - see? She's a precursor to the steampunks, of course!]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dylan was doing a lot of drugs back then and was probably with a lot of women making it hard to comment accurately on a fling. Bob Neuwirth was definitely the one who dated Edie. He said Dylan met Edie at the end of 1964. Like A Rolling Stone was written before Andy and Edie had their falling out so Dylan must have seen it coming. I think he wrote songs about everything even insignificant things so just because he wrote songs about Edie doesn't mean they were madly in love. But Blonde On Blonde definitely has songs about Edie. Probably just songs about what he saw happening to his best friend's girlfriend.

tumblr_m19aqzVTrs1rs87quo1_1280.jpg

Tumblr
Sorry if this has already been discussed but is Edie in the corner?
On second looks, I think its Gerard though.

^ Yes, Gerard- who appears to be pretty much the only survivor of the crew who is still functioning these days...BTW- I have grown to loath Dylan after reading all the books and all- he seems to be pretty much portrayed across the board as an arrogant jerk!! :cry: (Although I still listen to Blonde on Blonde a lot since so much of it seems to be about Edie...who he claims to only sort of remember- yeah, sure...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I remember it from the end of Factory Girl when people who knew Edie were being interviewed, but it was very small. Thanks for posting it, ScarlettLover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->