Regina Spektor

regina9b.jpg

bh03-lg.jpg

mysp01-lg.jpg

reg18-lg.jpg

Just thought this thread could use a few more pictures.. :heart:

Thanks for the visuals. I love that rainbowy top. And her veil, obviously.

I can't find 11:11 anywhere. I downloaded pretty much all of it a while ago, yes, but I don't want to do her out of a penny and besides I'll want to pass it onto grandchildren one day. ^_^
Neither ebay nor amazon.com/co.uk have it... Or any music shops here it would seem. :ninja:

I know what you mean. I hate that when you want to buy a CD from an obscure artist that could use the money a lot more than say, Beyonce, you can never find the CD.

Upppdate: She's releasing a new compilation album called "Mary Ann meets the Gravediggers and other short stories by regina spektor" and apparently its only going to be available in the UK? Not too sure. There's a lot of new stuff floating around the internet too so I think a new material album is also on the way.

I also found out recently that 11:11 was a university project of hers and thus it is no longer available new although a few lucky individuals have managed to scoop up copies in second hand music stores and things of that nature.

^^^^ in those pictures she reminds me a little bit of Fiona Apple....
I remember when I bought her album I liked it at the beginning because I liked her voice....then more I listened to it I didn't like her writing style. Her choices of lyrics seemed a bit adolescent or juvenile....:stuart: :P :D I sold it back to my local Indie Record store...they bought it from me for three dollars...it was worth it because right after I sold the CD back I went to McDonald's and got me a "happy meal"

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to see her in less than a month :D im sooo excited !

Did anyone purchase her newest album Begin To Hope?

I'm not a huge fan of it :doh: . Soviet Kitsch was just too amazing.

^ It's more polished, which I definitely expected from her by this point, and which isn't a bad thing by definition. I miss the emotional rawness of her previous recordings, nonetheless - nothing on Begin to Hope can compare to, say, Chemo Limo in the slightest...

Regina Spektor
Begin To Hope
(Sire)

begintohope6yu.jpg

avclub.com

Reviewed by Keith Phipps
June 13th, 2006

Quietly released in 2004, then rolled out by a larger label in 2005, Regina Spektor's Soviet Kitsch is the kind of eye-opening album that only comes around once in a while. It's not that it's perfect, or that Spektor attempts something that's never been done before. (Anyone wanting to trace her influences could easily work their way back from the Björk yelps in her upper register to her classical training.) It is, however, one of the rare albums where the talent practically sears the speakers. On Kitsch, Spektor combines cabaret intimacy, deliberately paced circular melodies, and an occasionally spooky emotional conviction as she works through tales of divorce, death, and downtown posers. Maybe only a few heard it, but fewer still walked away unconverted.

The straight-out-of-"Still D.R.E." strings that open Spektor's follow-up Begin To Hope immediately announce an expanded sound, producer David Kahne sprinkles plenty of pop-friendly touches throughout the album. But the focus stays tight on Spektor's voice and songs that never struggle to make an impact, even as they defy easy definition. The hushed "Samson" (reworked from a self-released album) combines biblical imagery and references to Wonder Bread to sketch a relationship that's turned unexpectedly fragile. It's followed by "On The Radio," a catchy, uptempo track that dispenses some common-sense advice between references to Guns N' Roses' "November Rain" and funeral processions.

Elsewhere, Spektor immerses herself in roles, playing a tyrant (petty or elected, it's unclear) on "Après Moi," and giving voice to a downtown type who's ridden the good times as far as they'll go on "That Time." Spektor remains, for the most part, sympathetic to her subjects, and even in its darkest moments, a humane glow envelops the album, which takes her already-arresting sound and expands it to widescreen.

A.V. Club Rating: A-
avclub.com

hello. I am in love with this women. I went to see her in June, going again in August.

http://hype.non-standard.net/search/Regina%20Spektor/1/

you can listen to a lot of her music on here. She has had 4 albums out now:

Soviet Kitsch
Songs
Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and other Short Stories
and her new one.... Begin To Hope

she is amazing, and beautiful. She was born in Russia, and when she was 9 moved to New York, Bronx. She is extremely intelligent, cute, funny and pretty. She is all I pretty much play nowadays, apart from The Libertnes and Peter Doherty sstuff though.

reginaspektor400.jpg

Regina is amazing :heart:
I´ve never seen her live but I will as soon as I get a chance.

Ooh love her music!
I want soviet kitsch cd so bad I only have mary ann meets.. and begin to hope :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->