US Vogue May 2024 : Zendaya by Annie Leibovitz

My friend Scanned Fashion World from IG noticed the cover looks similar to Jennifer Lopez with the flower dress, also by Annie. He's on point.
Also very simillar with Ashley Graham Vogue coverVO0120_Cover_Ashley.jpg
vogue.com

Aside from that, such a Stunning cover & Editorial

I don't get some people's criticism about this cover and editorial: that the concept is not fresh etc.
However, when editors try something experimental (say the UK cover), it is deemed trash. "Vogue is dead"
Where is the middle.ground then?
For me Annie, Leibowitz photography will never go out of style. Say what you will but she is one of the photographers that creates an effective fashion fantasy.

Norman has years and years of experience, he's not new at all. I noticed he's more into male portraits.

it’s not groundbreaking but it’s good.

There's no need for a middle ground, only the requirement that whatever the type of cover, there's some semblance of effort being made, according to whatever template it's trying to follow:

Traditional with great production values - a crowd-pleasing success
Traditional with barely any effort made - a boring failure
Experimental that moves you in some positive way - an unexpected success
Experimental with barely any effort made - a complete failure on most points

The UK Vogue cover seems both experimental and low-effort, so it's more of an all-round failure.

The US Vogue cover at least looks traditional - what then divides people is how much effort they think has gone into it.

So I get where everyone is coming from, in their reactions to both these covers.

Perfect example of a gorgeous actress, who is quite model-esque and perfectly fit in the clothes yet gives absolutely nothing in print. This is so flat.. even though she really is trying her best. The photography is lackluster, and has been done way better by Annie too many times before. And I am not even gonna start on the styling. As much as I think they are a fantastic duo for her red carpet style, I really wish Law Roach would stop styling her cover shoots. It just feels so one dimensional..

Her face is doing absolutely nothing in the shots. Completely vacant and pretty dead behind the eyes. The poses add a lot of drama and sense of motion which relates well to the film, but they're very Coco Rocha poses. Forced and too aware of being "fashun for the cam-er-RAH DAHLING!". Maybe I'm one of the rare few that still doesn't fully see the whole entire spark of Zendaya, but perhaps I associate her presence in magazines as being similar to Alicia Vikander who suffers the same issue of good actress, but completely bland in still shots.

And maybe styling that is a bit more grounded or mixed up could have helped here. Law Roach isn't really that compelling as an editorial stylist, so nothing much really going on here for me. Feels like the presence of Zendaya as a celebrity and the ornateness of the clothes are fighting each other and neither are really winning.

I don't get some people's criticism about this cover and editorial: that the concept is not fresh etc.
However, when editors try something experimental (say the UK cover), it is deemed trash. "Vogue is dead"
For me Annie, Leibowitz photography will never go out of style. Say what you will but she is one of the photographers that creates an effective fashion fantasy.
i get your point. but i still think it's just lazy and safe to go back to a formula that has been repeated the last decades endlessly till absurdum - just because you are not able to bring something really new on the table (aka cover) that celebrates fashion in a contemporary way and not like something from the past. Nostalgia can be nice, but i want more from Vogue than this!

A pretty young woman posing in a red rose dress in front of a green bush with a matching red ring on her finger - if i read this i feel being set back to the promo of a flower show in the fifties.
it's all pretty and neat, but it's nothing i want to achieve or look like TODAY. And don't start me on fantasy. If this is the best you can do when thinking of unbound escapism and full fantasy - then it's just pityful. All of the people involved should get a break from their jobs for at least 6 months, they should go travelling, listen to music they never heard before, read new books, just lying at a beach for days and days and get their mojo back. Because this kind of fantasy is played out so hard that it has become a meme. Vogue is dead - and that's the latest proof for me. And don't get me wrong. i like Zendaya, she's real. But she deserved better. Especially a better stylist..LOL

Oh sorry for my limited and "PITIFUL" idea of escapism.

I do agree though about the importance of taking a break and finding inspiration, which are sometimes found in the simple things (reading books, listening to music etc), without the need to overthink . Everyone can find inspiration wherever they choose to find it.

I think this applies to everyone. Not just fashion editors.
i get your point. but i still think it's just lazy and safe to go back to a formula that has been repeated the last decades endlessly till absurdum - just because you are not able to bring something really new on the table (aka cover) that celebrates fashion in a contemporary way and not like something from the past. Nostalgia can be nice, but i want more from Vogue than this!

A pretty young woman posing in a red rose dress in front of a green bush with a matching red ring on her finger - if i read this i feel being set back to the promo of a flower show in the fifties.
it's all pretty and neat, but it's nothing i want to achieve or look like TODAY. And don't start me on fantasy. If this is the best you can do when thinking of unbound escapism and full fantasy - then it's just pityful. All of the people involved should get a break from their jobs for at least 6 months, they should go travelling, listen to music they never heard before, read new books, just lying at a beach for days and days and get their mojo back. Because this kind of fantasy is played out so hard that it has become a meme. Vogue is dead - and that's the latest proof for me. And don't get me wrong. i like Zendaya, she's real. But she deserved better. Especially a better stylist..LOL

The girl has a million dollar face. A reminder of the Gwyneths, the Camerons, the Winonas or the Umas of the 90s. Of course Zendaya is too young to compare with the legends, but her image is so magnetic. We embrace the diverse of shape and face lines now (and that's so good!), but her beauty matches with classic standards of Hollywood actors, with this type of beauty and paired with fashion models during the super era. Some models and actors has the give us nothing look, but sometimes no one cares. She looks pretty, and luckly is enough. It doesn't happens with Kendall or Biber. It's allure and nothing else. The "it" girl definition. She "has it".

Model Kendal Jenner has a fashion editorial inside shot by Colin Dodgson and styled by Max Ortega. It can be viewed on vogue.com.

It's a beautiful cover, and what Vogue should be about.

I suspect Anna is trolling British Vogue. It can't be two lead editions (and forget the big 4).

I find Zendaya to be incredibly beautiful, but I also recognise that you pretty much have to be bland and boring in order to keep being successful and famous.

On that basis, I love the cover, so it'll be the editorials that will dissuade me from getting this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashleydoubek147
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->