US Vogue May 2024 : Zendaya by Annie Leibovitz

Email sent to subscribers:

Vogue May Issue and tote bag
Hello!
I’m so excited for you to spend some time with our May issue, which is bursting with fashion and creativity and incredible imagery
and writing—and people we love. Let’s start with Zendaya on our cover, who was photographed by Annie Leibovitz in Paris, never
looking more beautiful. She talks about growing up, dressing for the red carpet, and training hard to learn tennis for her new
movie Challengers. She’s become obsessed with Serena Williams, and calls her up in the story for a heart to heart. It’s a great
read. As is our story about the Costume Institute’s unforgettable new exhibition, Sleeping Beauties (which, of course, is the
centerpiece of the Met Ball, just around the corner). You won’t believe how beautiful the accompanying images are, by the great
photographer Steven Meisel, with the wonderful actor Elizabeth Debicki serving as his muse and model. One more story I have to
tell you about: Hamish Bowles’s account of seeing John Galliano’s landmark Maison Margiela couture show on the banks of the Seine
last January. I’m not exaggerating when I say that John’s show changed fashion history—and Meisel has recreated it for you with a
series of epic photographs.
To guarantee your copy, please join Vogue today.
All my best
Anna Wintour

Indeed! I hope that we see more of Meisel's photography in US Vogue going forward. His beautiful work belongs in this magazine.
Yes! Totally.

I’m probably reading too much into things but it’s interesting that as soon Edward is out as EIC at British Vogue Meisel returns to the pages of American Vogue again.

A Meisel return is so welcome. I’m excited to see the pictures.

If US Vogue is able to continue to infuse some star power back into the magazine, alongside the new talent that they’re nurturing, then it might become a regular purchase for me again. That’s especially true if UK Vogue continues to dwindle. All part of Anna’s master plan I’m sure.

I do hope Conde Nast are eyeing what Harper’s Bazaar and Elle are up to. There have been some noticeable standouts from those magazines recently, particularly that gorgeous Regina cover. Hopefully some healthy competition will lead to an upswing in quality all round.

Can’t wait for another overcooked editorial by Meisel to be praised to high heaven, when he’s no better than Annie these days.
The difference for me between the two is that Steven Meisel is all about high fashion and there is also his incredible legacy in fashion photography. He can be a hit or a miss these days, but he can still pleasantly surprise and leave me in awe.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. When Luigi & Iango's poor imitation of Meisel is sometimes better than the real thing... it's time to re-assess.

So now I'll have to throw €15 on a pamphlet sized American Vogue... yay. That being said, I'm shocked that Meisel's back at American Vogue after all these years. Hope it won't be just an annual MET feature, but a return to form. Give him another cover! Let him cook. Very excited to see this.

Wow. It's been too long since SM contributed to US Vogue! I wonder who the stylist for his stories; I hope they called Grace back in. Or maybe Steven strongarmed Karl T into the mag? I can't imagine (I hope it's not) Alex Harrington or Max Ortega. Meisel doesn't work with nobodies.

Just hope they are not dire UK Vogue gray background studio catalogue shoots. His work for US Vogue was always vastly superior to what Edward did with him, even if many didn't find it on the level of what he did for VI (I mean why should it be?)

The joke is Elizabeth didn't got the cover. Nuts! Would have been reprinted for British Vogue.

Wow. It's been too long since SM contributed to US Vogue! I wonder who the stylist for his stories; I hope they called Grace back in. Or maybe Steven strongarmed Karl T into the mag? I can't imagine (I hope it's not) Alex Harrington or Max Ortega. Meisel doesn't work with nobodies.

Just hope they are not dire UK Vogue gray background studio catalogue shoots. His work for US Vogue was always vastly superior to what Edward did with him, even if many didn't find it on the level of what he did for VI (I mean why should it be?)
His last was Rianne for the May 2016 issue

Now I'm starting to believe the gossip surrounding Edward Enninful's British Vogue departure and that Anna Wintour was indeed the one behind the move/push. Wintour has seemingly now set out to make American Vogue better and more desirable than British Vogue (at least to me), having secured Steven Meisel. What a move!

Not only is the cover with Zendaya absolutely gorgeous, the content sure sounds rather fantastic and this is starting to feel like a return to form. About time Wintour upped the ante too, because American Vogue's fashion content has been lacking for YEARS.

Cannot even remember the last time I was this eager to see the content from an issue of US Vogue!

one of two editorials by Steven Meisel, the style is by Oliver Rizzo

View attachment 1262088
Full story:

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Olivier Rizzo
Hair: Duffy
Makeup: Dame Pat McGrath
Manicurist: Jin Soon Choi
Tailor: Carol Ai

Cast: Leon Dame, Colette Kanza, Emeline Hoareau, Lulu Tenney, Yilan Hua, Olga Sheerer, and Gwendoline Christie
SME_24002_0010_102_R4_QC.jpgSME_24002_0030_066_R5_QC.jpgSME_24002_0020_024_R4_QC.jpg
vogue.com

Full story:

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Olivier Rizzo
Hair: Duffy
Makeup: Dame Pat McGrath
Manicurist: Jin Soon Choi
Tailor: Carol Ai

Cast: Leon Dame, Colette Kanza, Emeline Hoareau, Lulu Tenney, Yilan Hua, Olga Sheerer, and Gwendoline Christie
View attachment 1262091View attachment 1262090View attachment 1262092
vogue.com
Honestly? Kind of disappointing. This feels like the Shein version of the show to me, so flat-looking. I thought he would have taken inspiration from the mood of the show and added to it, doing a series of individual portraits in lush settings, capturing the Parisian mood of a bygone era. This is very cold in its execution...and so short!

And I know it's primarily the result of the glossy makeup, but that closeup of Lulu really looks AI-generated.

The above photographs by Meisel will look beautiful in print.

Honestly? Kind of disappointing. This feels like the Shein version of the show to me, so flat-looking. I thought he would have taken inspiration from the mood of the show and added to it, doing a series of individual portraits in lush settings, capturing the Parisian mood of a bygone era. This is very cold in its execution...and so short!

And I know it's primarily the result of the glossy makeup, but that closeup of Lulu really looks AI-generated.
That is usually the photo page count for designer profiles in US Vogue.

I'm happy to see Meisel back even though I feel like we might see him again (if we do) only once a year lol.

Excited to see more!

The Margiela collection! Of course this was going to be photographed by Meisel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->