What is the best way to collect designer bags?

CTstyle~it seems almost as if you want to buy bags to be sure of some sort of resale value later on. i'm not sure if that is a good perspective or not on the whole situation, personally IMO, i think you should only get them if you love them. Not for the sake of cashing in later. i started collecting bags after i won a contest and designed for dooney. I was in italy and went to super high end boutiques for the first time in my life and was struck and became obsessed. prior to that trip...i had a LAMB bag and that was high end for me, because i really didn't know about all of the other wonderful brands and companies. after that trip i aquired a YSL bag from italy as well as several free-bee doonies, which i really didn't care for ever. so because the dooneys were free and because i got like 4 or 5, i decided to sell them on ebay so i could buy something i really liked....and i did. and my collection started from there. then, the color of the YSL made it impractical for my own wardrobe....and so i sold it because it wasn't being used enough. i was surprised it went for so much and i started learning my companies and such for possible re-sale experience. i purchased an LV on ebay, and got ripped off. went through the claim crap, learned my lesson and discovered mypopette and TFS. i think my obsession found a home here on this forum. i have learned tons and now go antique shopping and thrift store shopping and have collected and resold tons of GUCCI, LV, FURLA, etc. through knowlegde and a good eye, my habit has become a small business. i get my shopping fix, but then resell so there's no hording of bags or feeling bad for buying so much. a lot of brands just aren't my style, like gucci for example. but with my knowledge now, it;'s like a treasure hunt and i can pass along my finds, which i clean and sometimes repair to other fashionistas. i find it a very enjoyable hobbie, and in some cases it pays for bags i want to add to my collection.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now I have a much fuller idea of how the bags economy works. I believe in buying what one loves, but also always look at ways of profiting. So it's not like I'm just in it for the money, but there are questions I like to ask and things I like to know before blowing so much money on something. One likes to know if one might be able to cash in later if the bag isn't what one expected or one has a change of heart. I can't just drop the money down for a bag I love just because I feel like it. It has to be considered very seriously.:wink:

Should you start with a current trend or start with vintage?
I START MINE WITH VINTAGE NON-DESIGNER, THEN TO VINTAGE DESIGNER, THEN TO DESIGNER'S

Is it better to charge it or to save up to buy it with cash or check?
I ALWAYS BUY WITH CASH

How much and how fast do the values sink? I mean, what makes a bag rise in value as it becomes a vintage and what makes a bag lose value?
I DON'T REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS :P

Which ones are most people's "first" designer bags?
MINE IS LV

Do you keep more or resell more?
I KEEP MORE, BUT I SURE ROTATE SOME, I CAN'T AFFORD TO FOLLOW MY HABIT ALL THE TIME

Do you choose which ones to buy according to the market/resell value or do you just go for what you like?
I GO FOR WHAT I LIKE

i think one might be able to spot some good bags at estate sales. probably the best places for that would be palm beach, nyc, boston etc.

i have never been to an estate sale though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->