Saint Laurent F/W 2015.16 Paris

Getting banned is minor. These companies could pull advertising and then they'd be screwed.

yeah, who would want to upset kering? the economic losses would be incalculabe. that's pretty much how it works with every major corporation out there. it's really sad but it's just the wait it is

Yes because the morons at Vogue and style, want to get a ticket for next season. Also their reviews are extremely biased and clearly reak of paid lip service.

Cathy Horyn was banned from the YSL shows because she gave
realistic review.

But one thing I think that Saint Laurent has proved is how irrelevant fashion critics really are at the end of day. Everyone from Tim Blanks, to Robin Givhan to Cathy Horyn have written snarky reviews about his collections and it made absolutely no impact on how things played out. People will like what they want and buy what they want.

I have to say having watched the video the actual presentation pissed me off in a way. The elevating runway with the strobing lights underneath deserved a better collection to go with it and, to me, there was a MASSIVE disconnect between the so-not-hardcore music (which got annoying after two minutes; forget about fifteen) and the aggressive nature of the clothing. Like, if you're gonna show Siouxsie Sioux eye makeup and shredded stockings you'd better have something legitimately punky playing, not that wannabe crap.

Didn't really speak highly of Hedi's supposed taste for underground music.

there's some stand-out pieces that will have SUPER tremendous amounts of publicity for next season but I'm starting to get bored by Hedi's constant fascination with the LA-kids... I really want to see him break through his almost obsessive fascination with that small group of teenagers and "fall-outs" and consider the much older, often rich, woman that is actually buying the shoes and bags that constitute the bulk of saint laurent's business

This collection would have been perfect for that tragic Met "punk" fashion exhibit a few years back...

the so-not-hardcore music (which got annoying after two minutes; forget about fifteen)

Didn't really speak highly of Hedi's supposed taste for underground music.

that always annoys me..if he used several tracks he could help promote more artists!!!

that always annoys me..if he used several tracks he could help promote more artists!!!

It would certainly lend (an air of) authenticity to the collection.

there's some stand-out pieces that will have SUPER tremendous amounts of publicity for next season but I'm starting to get bored by Hedi's constant fascination with the LA-kids... I really want to see him break through his almost obsessive fascination with that small group of teenagers and "fall-outs" and consider the much older, often rich, woman that is actually buying the shoes and bags that constitute the bulk of saint laurent's business

I don't so much mind the fixation on reckless youths if he would broaden the idea and take it out of LA, a place which is willfully kitsch. Agree on the stand-outs though, some of the little jackets were perfection.

This collection is such a joke. It's the sort of stuff I wore when I was 15 and used to get my clothes from Primark and charity shops. I see girls of the same age doing exactly the same. It's a classic angsty teenager look.

It's kind of saddening to hear that Hedi's clothes sell so well at Saint Laurent – it's just confirming the fact that a) 'fashion victim' is a very real thing and b) too many people have more money than sense.

If you really wanted to be part of that 'grunge' life, you'd be buying your leather jackets from car boot sales and scouring charity shops (and your big sister's wardrobe). Basically Saint Laurent is the fashion equivalent of trustafarians losing their **** at festivals and clubs... rich people have no concept of 'real' life – they might feign interest in grime, 'getting wavey' or down cans of K Cider to try to fit in, but they just end up looking like they're trying too hard. The opposite of cool.

I've seen that Hedi can make gorgeous clothes – I wish he'd stretch his imagination more and show us something that actually looks expensive and luxurious, otherwise I don't see why he doesn't sack it all off and go to design for Divided @ H&M?

But one thing I think that Saint Laurent has proved is how irrelevant fashion critics really are at the end of day. Everyone from Tim Blanks, to Robin Givhan to Cathy Horyn have written snarky reviews about his collections and it made absolutely no impact on how things played out. People will like what they want and buy what they want.
But is this a good thing? I don't think so. It's important to have critics. It's important to have an educated voice of reason. Sure - people will always buy whatever they want, but to eliminate critiques is to eliminate constructive criticism. The last thing we need is more bloggers with their "it's so amazing" reviews of everything.

I think you're misunderstang what a critic's intention is. Even at their most brutal - I don't believe they're just being b*tchy. I believe they're challenging the designer to be better.

Hedi banning people from his show (while certainly his prerogative and his freedom to do so) is not proving a point about the irrelevance of critics, he's proving the point that he can censor whoever he chooses.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree. The very last thing we need more of is nice and "intellectualized" bloggers writing the very same thing every season.

But I think there's sometimes a disconnect between the 'criticism' and what actually happens in the stores. A collection like Saint Laurent might not go down well for the educated critic but for well the customers, who are less guided by concepts and history.

Last edited by a moderator:
But is this a good thing? I don't think so. It's important to have critics. It's important to have an educated voice of reason. Sure - people will always buy whatever they want, but to eliminate critiques is to eliminate constructive criticism. The last thing we need is more bloggers with their "it's so amazing" reviews of everything.

I think you're misunderstang what a critic's intention is. Even at their most brutal - I don't believe they're just being b*tchy. I believe they're challenging the designer to be better.

Hedi banning people from his show (while certainly his prerogative and his freedom to do so) is not proving a point about the irrelevance of critics, he's proving the point that he can censor whoever he chooses.

I'm certainly not diminishing the importance of critics. I think they are very much needed and I too detest bloggers. My point is that Saint Laurent has raised some very good questions about what industry people want and what customers want. A lot of times editors crave for "fashion" that feeds their creative hunger, that will look great in magazine editorials, but hardly connects to the customers. I think people take for granted Saint Laurent's commercial success as some kind of snobbery, but really it is just as great (even more, to be honest) than getting rave reviews.

I actually like this collection, very wearable, not very Saint Laurent, but it's been quite a while since Saint Laurent it's not supposed to be YSL, they want to erase any clue about their past and what they represented, some of us may feel nostalgic...

But this is all marketing, and Hedi right now couldn't have suited more the brand when it comes to reinventing the brand, and guess what ? they are selling like hot cakes. Good for him and good for Laurent, i couldn't think of any brand total transformation in the past decade so successful like this, that it's not burberry (in this case they didn't kill the spirit of the brand though).

oh my, didn't Kate Moss actually wear torn fishnets too, like months ago? :rolleyes:

I don't think it's all that bad, but perhaps, for Saint Laurent it doesn't work that well. It's definitely not exciting if you think of the brand itself, but like some said it, it's wearable. It's ok-ish.

This guy should just have his own brand or design for a revived high street Biba that some rich guy will surely attempt to resurrect from the grave because they're bored. I admit I do like some of the stuff he makes(not this collection though, it just looks like a darker Betsey Johnson), but this stuff isn't YSL at all. This hallowed house is being desecrated and catering to trust fund kids who are wannabe rock groupies that don't know anything about the culture they're pathetically imitating

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->