Saint Laurent Mens F/W 2015.16 Paris

The womenswear is terrible loool
Though the menswear is much better. Honestly he did a collection like this few seasons back, this is a more toned down version of that , Some nice outerwear. Other than that its very gimmicky and boring.

This is his best collection yet at Saint Laurent. Even if 90% of it could be in the permanent collection, it's still good. H.Slimane is not an original designer, he is always going to do the same thing so, we have to take it as it is.
For the first time, i can see myself wearing the womenswear. It's simple, commercial and wearable.

It's a fresh collection but those guys...I mean, the guys he used at Dior Homme were much better.
Good job Hedi.

^ Actually the berets and striped tops are not at all references to French or Parisian culture but are direct references to the Beatnik generation.. a sub-culture movement that developed in NYC in the 50s/60s and evolved around Pink Floyd & the Beatles. basically pre-hippie. So it's indeed yet just another retro rock culture theme for a Slimane collection. Sort of predictable really and starting to become a little cliché. Doesn't help that everything is tight and skinnier then ever to the point of it looking really uncomfortable both visually and physically. Nothing too exciting either, mainly black with a couple stripe tops & ghastly animal print jackets. Also hate this trend of mixing in female models. Feels lazy. Is men's fashion really in such a rut? Anyways easily Hedi's worst collection to date..
Technically it's a reference to the beat culture that was thriving on the west bank of Paris at the same time that Kerouac and such were giving life to the movement in New York. And for better or for worse, to most of the world berets and striped sailor sweaters are about as "Parisian" as it gets, to the point that its basically an archetype. Hell, Gaultier built an entire brand around such quintessential -- some might say stereotypical -- tropes of "Frenchness".

That's sort of new for him, the fact that there's actually some room for interpretation here. It's doesn't scream TEDDY BOY or ZIGGY STARDUST or LED ZEPPELIN at the top of its lungs. Funny enough, what with the heavy doses of lean, clean black tailoring, ample use of leather and high-low mix of culture this feels very, very Saint Laurent of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is probably his first collection (both mens and womens) since he's at sl that i don't hate. i still find the retro-rocker thing tired as hell, but it's way less costumey than before and there's some great outfits, and i like that it's dark and elegant... but dear god some of the models are so skinny they're almost uncomfortable to look at.

c2caa187cfbffefc231f5bbe63d5be33.jpg

artchivebycarteblanche.com/?p=1560

yeah, warhol / the velvet undergroudn were an obvious inspiration for this, i don't understand what it has to do with my comment. it's the same look but it doesn't feel as fake and costume-like as his previous collections.

I do agree that it's the first collection he's presented that's not overly gimmicky. But I wouldn't call this modern, not by a long shot. If anything, it's just classic pieces presented on super skinny male models. And this is coming from someone who has bought quite a few SL clothes since Hedi started.

Well, I was kind of expecting this collection to be like this...And he has been doing the same thing, over and over again. Although the collection was a little bit boring and there was nothing new in it, I would totally wear it if I was a guy. An extremely skinny guy lol. But yeah, I liked the stripes, the leather jackets and this vintage vibe.

But I think Saint Laurent is waaay too expensive for what is. The design isn't breathtaking, actually is pretty 'meh'. I mean, come on, you can get the entire runway look just by looking around on random shops.

There's some pieces I really want in this collection, the leather pants! wow. The jackets, the embroidered pieces! Some sweaters are fun as well...

I think it's once again a stellar collection! Very chic

I have the opposite reaction to most other commenters... I think this is the weakest thing Hedi has shown yet, and by a considerable margin. Yes, the previous shows have pretty much all relied on gimmicks and tried-and-true themes, but at least with those came some sort of energy and conviction. What we're seeing here is pretty much just what's been available in the Saint Laurent shops for the past two years. Methinks Mr. Slimane could not be bothered this season or just couldn't think of a rock music era to plunder.

I like the clothes but I don't feel the model.

I think that the Saint Laurent 'man' is definitely specific and niche. I definitely thought this was a very French collection and not everyone can pull these looks off. Those pants also look incredibly tight and uncomfortable but that last jacket is simply divine.

Eugh omg I love it. The outerwear is flawless, there's definitely a more evening/grown up vibe to this collection.

womenswear is terrible, and the lack of make-up on the girls...doesn't look good at all

but i like a lot of the menswear! the set was soo cool as always

Imagine how hot these clothes would look on hot buff (Versace/Dolce & Gabbana) models..? -_-

However I would buy it.

Technically it's a reference to the beat culture that was thriving on the west bank of Paris at the same time that Kerouac and such were giving life to the movement in New York. And for better or for worse, to most of the world berets and striped sailor sweaters are about as "Parisian" as it gets, to the point that its basically an archetype. Hell, Gaultier built an entire brand around such quintessential -- some might say stereotypical -- tropes of "Frenchness".

That's sort of new for him, the fact that there's actually some room for interpretation here. It's doesn't scream TEDDY BOY or ZIGGY STARDUST or LED ZEPPELIN at the top of its lungs. Funny enough, what with the heavy doses of lean, clean black tailoring, ample use of leather and high-low mix of culture this feels very, very Saint Laurent of him.

I think you mean the left bank which is where i've lived my whole life and can honestly tell you i've never seen a parisian wear a beret.. also 'la mariniere' of Gaultier is a specific blue & white sailor shirt. In last night's show it's clearly much wider black stripes with mock turtlenecks. Along with the sunglasses, badged berets & leather jackets.. it is unmistakably American Beatnik influenced.. very Warhol Factory as someone else noted. Not very surprising since Hedi has always been inspired by various music era subcultures from his surroundings. So yes to me this does SCREAM costume. Perhaps just a less known facet, and something that people feel is more wearable (after all beatnik style is a lot more conservative/understated then most subculture attires). It does feel contrived & tired to me. Also sick of those pointed shoes with high heels. Keep in mind I'm a long time Hedi fan & customer. Just not feeling this at all..

I have the opposite reaction to most other commenters... I think this is the weakest thing Hedi has shown yet, and by a considerable margin. Yes, the previous shows have pretty much all relied on gimmicks and tried-and-true themes, but at least with those came some sort of energy and conviction. What we're seeing here is pretty much just what's been available in the Saint Laurent shops for the past two years. Methinks Mr. Slimane could not be bothered this season or just couldn't think of a rock music era to plunder.

I'm with you, it feels like one never ending collection at this point. And I could barely muster enough interest to click all the way through this.

Imagine how hot these clothes would look on hot buff (Versace/Dolce & Gabbana) models..? -_-

However I would buy it.

Hedi said if you aren't skinny, designer clothes will always look tacky on you. So I always say no to his clothes, such a biased jerk.

Editors and clients alike were left dazzled in 1983 by YSL's contribution to the Grands Projets.

Pret-a-porter, haute couture and beauty collections were engineered around his love for Paris, resulting in three (of many?) well known contributions that have arguably stood the test of time: YSL Paris, perfumer Sophia Grojsman's sumptuous take on Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee, his domino coat in yellow silk faille (a copy of which rests comfortably at the Met Museum) and his black velvet dress dominated by a huge luscious pink bow that unfurls and spreads across the back like a butterfly (a theme from his HC collection for spring of the same year). Dramatic, feminine, sensual, strong, optimistic though not needlessly so.

Fast forward nearly 33 years later. Slimane's take on parisian patriotism is subtitled 'Paris Sessions' and though designed in the sunny climes of LA and inspired, as always, by musicians, is presented in a city perhaps still emotionally reeling from a blood-soaked terrorist attack and renewed questions about freedom, identity and spirituality. It is beautifully defiant, both in its knowing androgyny and its 'updated classics' feel, a thesis statement summarizing not only his contributions to the house thus far but also his successes, considering how many of those contributions have been mimicked, not only by the high street but by his fellow designers.

For once, I like not only the spirit but the clothes as well, as they softly reference in minor keys, the work he did for the house originally in the late 90s. This sheen of chic helps to soften what antagonizes about these clothes, infuses them with a bit of mystery and signals warmth under the froideur, like the flash of metal on a black raised heel. Time will tell if people will be able to look back at the collection, with its pins, heels, berets, lace and feel the confusion, the loss, the remorse and protests of its time in it. For now, its easy chic, prohibitively expensive at a house known for celebrating the provocateur, no matter the weather.

Hedi said if you aren't skinny, designer clothes will always look tacky on you. So I always say no to his clothes, such a biased jerk.
I don't approve of body shaming, be it skinny or plump. But that is the most obnoxious thing a designer could say. Reminds me of Lagerfeld who said he hates ugly people.

And I'm honestly hoping they will both be replaced soon. With Lagerfeld that's only a matter of a few years at most, but with Hedi, well, I hope he wouldn't mind a somewhat-early retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dm4048a
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->