Saint Laurent Mens F/W 2015.16 Paris

marcBarna

Reaction score
Saint-Laurent-Menswear-FW15-Paris-2802-1422216834-bigthumb.jpg

nowfashion.com

It's incredible that we had to wait for so many seasons to get to this point. This feels fresh and modern, nothing like the previous gimmicky and overly vintage-like collections. I haven't said this about a Slimane for SL collection yet, so here it goes: I would buy it all.

Thank Christ for Hedi Slimane, almost everything in men's fashion apart from Balmain is either boring or unwearable, nothing has the cool dark sexy feeling that Slimane creates. I'm so glad that he doesn't try to reinvent his signature style, it's what a lot of us want and something that isn't offered anywhere else.

I want everything as usual.

Modern??..I wouldn't call any of this Retro-Fashion crud.."Modern." It looks like the 1960's and the 1980's all thrown together with a skin-tight fit. This is total Retro-Fashion .

All the pieces look like something Andy Warhol would have worn during his early years..or Michael Jackson in his later years.

Pointy Chelsea-boots...zebra prints..tiger prints..striped turtle-necks??

There's absolutely nothing modern or new in this collection...all of this has already been done before..almost 40 years ago.

People simply want this stuff b/c it's Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimani....it's all hype.

It's a collection made for people who are way too young to remember the 60's or the 80's.

Meh??...to each, their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's incredible that we had to wait for so many seasons to get to this point. This feels fresh and modern, nothing like the previous gimmicky and overly vintage-like collections. I haven't said this about a Slimane for SL collection yet, so here it goes: I would buy it all.

Fresh? lol wut? This is another vintage collection. From head to toe. Great you would buy it all but for real know your history. This is late 50ies early 60ies rock and roll/Warhol-esque fest.
Oh and the skinnifying of the guys is taking grotesque proportions.

Too many women in this collection...oh, wait, they're guys :lol:

That camel coat will be in my closet in 5 months :wub:

I really like it! Well, apart from that horrific pink jacket but a lot of the stuff is actually wearable!

Fresh? lol wut? This is another vintage collection. From head to toe. Great you would buy it all but for real know your history. This is late 50ies early 60ies rock and roll/Warhol-esque fest.
Oh and the skinnifying of the guys is taking grotesque proportions.

If we take off from that point then mostly everything in fashion is influenced by a certain era or a movement in the past. What I meant to say by 'modern' is that it's not straight-out-of-a-vintage store like his previous work for Saint Laurent but it feels like an interpretation instead.

We think alike Vitamin-W...LOL

To me...modern and contemporary....is something that you haven't seen before...or something that is made in a way that's never been done before.

Unique construction....something that doesn't look like everything else on the market....something that you can't find in a thrift-store.

Take a look at what Rei Kawakubo has done for her Comme Des Garcons Homme Plus collection.

All the jackets are cut on an angle...the construction is based on a spiral...the sleeves on the jackets are also asymmetric and uneven.

Try finding a jacket made like those at your local thrift shop....or a store where they sell suits for men. I guarantee you'll never find one like that...LOL

That collection is pure innovation....never been done before....nothing else out there like it...and definitely modern.

A far cry from being Retro-Fashion..like this Saint Laurent stuff.

It's a collection of classics. I think the turn away from some of the more costumey and gimmicky elements Slimane tends to trip himself up really helps.

And Margielamike, one could say that a thing that is timeless, like the Rock Chic Slimane presents here, is always modern.

Now, if he could only fix his casting Saint Laurent might finally not bo so immediately repulsive.

Oh...I don't have any problem with being inspired by era's from the past.

I simply think we should use the past as a starting point...while using innovation to reinterpret what has already been done.

I aspire to amazing construction...something that has been made in a way that isn't so easy to comprehend...something that isn't so straight-forward, standard, and basic. Something that you look at..and you need to study how the piece was put together.

Everything in this collection is merely based on a tight fit...it would be just as boring if all the pieces were cut considerably bigger. Without the tight fit....the story of this collection would get lost in translation.

I simply believer that history is meant to be passed...not repeated. Taking a visit to the past is certainly okay...but this collection looks like it's stuck there.

I kind of like how he's played with some tropes of "Parisian" style -- the striped sweaters, the berets, the leather jackets -- and put his own spin on the look. It's also nice to look at this collection and not immediately see a specific musical inspiration. It's a bit neutral in that sense, not grunge, not glam, not punk...it's a little bit of each of those things while not really being any of them at all.

Alessandro Michele should take note, because THIS is how you incorporate "feminine" elements without sacrificing masculinity or wearabiity.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Actually the berets and striped tops are not at all references to French or Parisian culture but are direct references to the Beatnik generation.. a sub-culture movement that developed in NYC in the 50s/60s and evolved around Pink Floyd & the Beatles. basically pre-hippie. So it's indeed yet just another retro rock culture theme for a Slimane collection. Sort of predictable really and starting to become a little cliché. Doesn't help that everything is tight and skinnier then ever to the point of it looking really uncomfortable both visually and physically. Nothing too exciting either, mainly black with a couple stripe tops & ghastly animal print jackets. Also hate this trend of mixing in female models. Feels lazy. Is men's fashion really in such a rut? Anyways easily Hedi's worst collection to date..

this is probably his first collection (both mens and womens) since he's at sl that i don't hate. i still find the retro-rocker thing tired as hell, but it's way less costumey than before and there's some great outfits, and i like that it's dark and elegant... but dear god some of the models are so skinny they're almost uncomfortable to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->