Victoria Beckham S/S 10 New York

Here is the woman herself in her own design... one of the S/S pieces. The top is verrrrry reminiscent of old Roland Mouret

That's exactly what sprang to mind about all of the looks in the OP, too. :D

Can't say I'm overly impressed, I'm afraid.

The British avant garde references are actually kind of nice to see. This collection could have been worse. This could have been glamorous chavette.

I'm not going to add anything more to what has already been said regarding Victoria's influences, but the designs are looking really good. :woot: Love the tailoring and while part of the collection may lack coherency, some pieces are simply outstanding.

What I'm about to say isn't meant to be argumentative, it's more an observation than anything...

I find it weird that, though celebrities are often given a lot of heat if they step foot into the fashion arena as a designer, it seems like there are enough people (at least in this case) who are willing to overlook some very striking similarities to other designer's work. That isn't normally the case when it comes to non-celebrity designers, as the Outfit Look-alikes thread proves. I also find it strange that, when it comes to NYFW anyway, most people would bash this for being boring if it was shown by nearly any other designer. I'm wondering if it's that people expect a bit less from Beckham since design isn't where she's trained or if their feelings about her as a celebrity influence their feelings about her work and affect their judgement in ways it wouldn't normally be affected.

I'm wondering if it's that people expect a bit less from Beckham....

that's ABSOLUTELY the case. it's all about lowering people's expectations. neither the critics nor the customers look toward houses like these for something new in fashion. you go to victoria beckham, generally, to buy a piece of her.

we don't judge people singing whitney houston at a karaoke bar the same way we would judge whitney houston herself. we understand from the get-go that it's a fun imitation...

Those shoes on the models are designed by her, right? They look way to much like YSL imho.
Elegant collection as usual. I like the design that she's wearing to the show.

kinda disappointed after seeing the whole collection but it's lovely overall

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm about to say isn't meant to be argumentative, it's more an observation than anything...

I find it weird that, though celebrities are often given a lot of heat if they step foot into the fashion arena as a designer, it seems like there are enough people (at least in this case) who are willing to overlook some very striking similarities to other designer's work. That isn't normally the case when it comes to non-celebrity designers, as the Outfit Look-alikes thread proves. I also find it strange that, when it comes to NYFW anyway, most people would bash this for being boring if it was shown by nearly any other designer. I'm wondering if it's that people expect a bit less from Beckham since design isn't where she's trained or if their feelings about her as a celebrity influence their feelings about her work and affect their judgement in ways it wouldn't normally be affected.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I also think people are too harsh on the designers in the look-alike thread. You can only do so much with fabric that allows it to be 1) wearable 2) beautiful 3) commercially viable.

I dont see H&M in this at all unless im missing something.
I though the yellow dress was a stunner, the black and black is very pretty but wouldve prefered it white and black nverthless the 2 blakc dresses are also very pretty.
All the dresses showsn have great detailing to the finishing and one can just tell that this is quality piece.
These dresses all show Victorias character, she does know how to do simple, elegent and flattering dresses to women.

Personality?I don't see anything new in those dresses
It's just like Herve Leger,showing the same dress construction and shape in many ways as possible,but at least HL dresses are attractive,while this collection is so repulsive

2nd dress in #56 and in the 3rd and 5th piece in post #55 remind me little of Giambattista Valli
00050m.jpg

00110m.jpg

style.com

Personality?I don't see anything new in those dresses
It's just like Herve Leger,showing the same dress construction and shape in many ways as possible,but at least HL dresses are attractive,while this collection is so repulsive

you're entitled to your opinions of course :flower:

but personally, i find Herve Leger to be MUCH more butt-ugly. Uh..hello ripped denim onepiece?! :yuk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn varenne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->