What Are You Reading?

Just finished the terrific Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson, The Lion's Binding Oath and Other Stories by Ahmed Ismail Yusuf, and Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar

Just finished Becoming by Michelle Obama, Things to Do When You're Goth in the Country by Chavisa Woods, and Transcription by Kate Atkinson

I just finished In Cold Blood, oh my God that book doesn't get old. Amazing!!! I can't believe how well written it is.

Now I'm starting with The Origin of The Species by Darwin.

^In Cold Blood is one of my favorites. It made psychopathy seem less inhuman to me because the murderers were so obviously flawed and weak-natured... really a fascinating read!

^In Cold Blood is one of my favorites. It made psychopathy seem less inhuman to me because the murderers were so obviously flawed and weak-natured... really a fascinating read!

Exactly. I always wonder what leads people to commit crimes and this book has many answers.

I'm reading Marie Brenner's A private war: Marie Colvin and Other Tales of Heroes, Scoundrels, and Renegades. Brenner is an investigative journalist. The collection of her interviews with various public figures showcase her impressive career.

I'm reading Pete Buttigieg's Shortest Way Home. Two-thirds done. I don't want it to end. Buttigieg's memoir is beautifully written, humorous and engaging. It's also incredibly honest, and full of endless and wonderful insights into public life and politics. Highly recommended!

I'm reading Pete Buttigieg's Shortest Way Home. Two-thirds done. I don't want it to end. Buttigieg's memoir is beautifully written, humorous and engaging. It's also incredibly honest, and full of endless and wonderful insights into public life and politics. Highly recommended!
Your description (minus the "humorous" part) reminds me why I like him as a person and a candidate, exactly. Thanks for this. I'll definitely pick this book up soon.

I'm quite fond of Pete as a person too. His memoir is touching, and heart-warming. It also reads like a coming-of-age. Also despite his young age (for a politician anyway), he's wiser beyond in years, and you see that in the way he approaches public office and those around well as well as his personal life.

He's very, very funny in the book actually. Definitely pick this book up, so we can talk about it. I'm looking for someone to chat about it with! :lol:

Oh, I'm sorry kissmesweet, but you know the rules around here: no political talk. :lol:

I'm still shocked that somebody who's "just like me" can be the next president. I mean, he's a Hufflepuff, for goodness sake.

Anyways, yeah, I'll definitely keep you in the loop.

eugenius: oh yes, thanks for the reminder and for your message above. I actually mean, maybe talk about the book through PMs. :lol: I'll let you get through it first...

OK, kissmesweet, I finally bought it. I just skimmed through it last night. I read the part on his days at Harvard. I was like "Wow--I know exactly which Au Bon Pain he's talking about!" I still can't get over how he's my age, and went to school (in MA) in the city right next to mines. Like, we totally could've drunkenly flirted with each other in that dive-ey gay bar when we were in our early 20's. Lol.

I'm curious to read about his religion. We all know that there aren't many religious denominations out there that are notably gay-friendly, so I'd love to read how he reconciles his religion with his sexuality..if such a topic is discussed in his book.

Anyways, hold tight. I'll get back to you. :smile:

..pg 36: "Past Out Of Town News, where you could get exotic newspapers like La Repubblica or Le Monde,"...or..exotic magazines such as Collezioni or Gap Press, which were nothing but runway photos from all the European shows.

We even shopped at the same newspaper stand in the early 00's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->