The Last TV Show You Saw?

Started the new Gossip Girl. Very tame compared to the original but going to give it a chance.

The Real Housewives of Potomac, a total guilty pleasure of mine.

Not a horror type person at all, but Haunting of Hill House and Haunting of Bly Manor left me speechless, emotionally destroyed, completely wrecked, shocked, stunned, surprised... the list goes on. They are both such perfectly written stories that are much more than your classic jump scare gory horror which I loathe. Wish I could watch both for the first time again.. hopefully they decide to make another season in the future.

The Real Housewives of Potomac, a total guilty pleasure of mine.
I gave up on all things Real Housewives, but I’m hearing from all my friends that Potomac is where it’s at nowadays, so I definitely want to start watching. Plus, I think Nicki Minaj hosted for the reunion, and I’m a total Barb, so I’ll try it out.

I’m watching “White Lotus” on HBO. It has Natasha Rothwell, who I’m happy to see is doing more than “Insecure”, Jennifer Coolidge in the wackiest role Ive ever seen her in, and bitchy teenage girls…what’s not to love?

This Way Up-- I like it, which is almost annoying... I get that 20+ episodes per season are a thing of the past, but 6 episodes per season at 20-something minutes each? Why not invest a little more in these good shows that aren't even expensive to make in the first place? :judge:

The White Lotus - Binged the lot in one go, and loved all of it. It's eery how 'true' the experiences are and how all these people exist in real life. I can vouch for that! Mainly looked forward to Jennifer Coolidge, and she didn't disappoint. Unlike everyone else, I didn't mind the douchebag rich guy with the punchable face. Because usually with them what you see is what you get, there's nothing 'more'. It's actually his wife that I found so annoying. If your partner outearns you the power dynamics will never be balanced. Fact! You either suck it up, or you pull a Tilda Swinton in I Am Love and go out with a bang which I suppose could be taken both literal and figurative, lol. But I absolutely hate it when someone makes the entire situation unpleasant just because they feel inadequate. Pouting and crying all the time instead of addressing the issued head-on and come to an agreement.

Have to say it certainly dealt very well with the colonialism issue which sometimes can be so uncomfortable as a traveller. But I didn't get the dynamic between the two girls and how the show is constantly poking fun at 'cancel culture', making it out to be some sort of teenage rebellion.

^ I have to admit, I wasn't planning to watch the show until I read the dynamic of these two is intentionally based on Red Scare.. they did a good job, cause it doesn't look like they're playing Anna and Dasha but they did get the nihilism more or less right, very 'everyone's stupid, we're quite stupid too and we could tell you why but we can't stop giggling and wishing we were taking a nap instead'.

I'm not sure I understood cancel culture as a tantrum but as an [often met] demand driven by a type of consciousness characterized by extreme self-centeredness even at its most altruistic phase and with a need to constantly pat itself on the back for having such a moral high ground. You see it with the friend, she is able to process the grotesque contrasts of post-colonialism, be critical about the privilege of others, their lack of empathy, their place in their socioeconomic context and how that only strengthens a society based on equality, yet.... when she's expected on act on these beliefs and ~be an ally~, you see nothing but a product of neoliberal society, resembling more the people she condemns than the ones she advocates for. The mere idea of giving up any of her luxuries and opportunities to side with the oppressed seems preposterous and she's only driven to bring 'justice' (through robbery) the moment her ego is deeply hurt for reasons that have nothing to do with social justice. While her upbringing and conditions will always be different, in reality, she's made out of the same materialistic and selfish fabric of every other member of her highly individualistic society. The sound of making justice is enticing, if it's loud, on 'brand' and as long as precious possessions, roles and status are not jeopardized in the process or aftermath.

I think the way these two are presented is a bit harsh, but ultimately pretty accurate, that's about 90% of the people I know in LA lol. Also got a gigantic deja vu at the mom's sudden switch from her wonderful, encouraging advice to "that was a really f*cked up article you wrote" (said with a smile and calm, I'm-a-yoga-teacher voice) :mellow::lol:.. so glad I don't have to work with these types anymore! the moment I started getting back to them with the same voice, I knew it was time to go lol..

Everyone's detestable in their own way but Murray Barlett's character is just.. insane, literally had me in stitches from the start to the end of the series. I didn't even know the actor but he's hilarious.. too bad we won't see him in season 2 cause he was my favorite!. Also super happy to see Lukas Gage landing a role here after the lockdown viral video..

.. I started Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror on Netflix. Kind of wanted to re-learn it with adult eyes and now I regret it lol.. I completely about 2002 (the waterboarding, guantanamo, people on leashes) and I remember now why many of us suddenly stopped giving a s*it about 9/11. Haven't finished it but it's a good series if you want to go step by step on how things unfolded. The only crucial aspect they did not cover well enough is the Cold War as part of the background to the attacks.. and that makes the question the series starts off with (why are you so obsessed with me! "why do they hate us?!") pretty unanswerable!. They make it seem like one sunny day Osama was chilling near Rodeo Drive, bored out of his mind cause.. rich, hot and liberal, so he drives back to his loft in that pink convertible and instead of buying a yacht, he buys some land from his Taliban buddies and creates a training camp to f*ck with the US for no reason. The US was unhinged and poking its nose in every country of the world in the second half of the 20th century.. meddling in other countries' elections, killing political leaders, bankrolling dictatorships, bullying to give up some of the oil lol.. the list goes on and yes, it's pretty long and it would take more than a whole episode but if only the series would cover some of the highlights, no one (sane!) would excuse death, but people would understand what fuels the resentment..

Last edited:
Reactions: KoV
Started Midnight Mass tonight. I already regret it, but it looks like it could be a good one.

Watched all of Glow this week. Annoyed that the show was never finished.

Squid Game - Overlong with melodramatic reveals and twists more adequate for a soap-opera than to the cerebral, incisive social critic that it desperately wants to be perceived as...it's also a pastiche of references, obvious to anyone mildly interested in asian cinema. Kind of mad I wasted my time watching It.

The season premiere of "Insecure", where Issa Rae's sportin' one of those wacky cut-up bombers from Sacai..very :cool:

Reactions: KoV
Finished watching Watchmen on HBO max. Really great show and amazing soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Started watching Twin Peaks on hulu. It's pretty good so far.

^ me too and I can’t stop! :ninja:.. now if I’m not watching Succession, I have the freakin’ Succession theme song playing in my head all day!

Thankfully I’m about to watch the finale of season 2 and then I’ll be almost up to date and ready to.. [logan voice] f off.

Glad I finally got why Shiv is on the cover of Vogue.. she’s impeccable on the show. :heart:

I know basically every character on the show is despicable, but I have always and will always be rooting for Shiv. The new season is already SO good.

Kind of really love Gerri, too. Actually I may as well be honest and say I like everyone except Greg.

^ yeah, she's the sort of 'sane' one, and by sane: she's barely aware that there's a world outside of their company.

I think I kind of sympathize with all of them at this point.. even Kendall, who's just so damn crippled by his addiction he really wants to be an a*shole but repeatedly fails even at that and it's sad. I also find Matthew Macfadyen's character hilarious.. I mean.. it's Mr. Darcy! how did it come to this!. :lol:

Does anyone else look up the Murdoch family at least twice per episode? I need to stop treating this like a documentary lol..

Something I've realized lately is that the streaming service model of television popularized by Netflix where an entire season of a show is available all at once isn't really my cup of tea. I just don't enjoy television as much when I'm binging it, and my interest in the show burns hot but fast, to the extent I often don't stay with the show from season to season. Instead, the weekly wait engages me further in the show, I actually think about and process episodes and a great show becomes something to look forward to every week.

Currently I'm watching, on a weekly basis:

RHOBH - amazing, rarely get into reality TV but this is just engaging television any way you slice it, with dynamic "characters"
The Morning Show - I have never loved this show, but it's always enjoyable enough to keep going and I appreciate that they bring nuance to the types of situations that our current social climate likes to pain in black and white. This season is definitely a step down from last season but I'll probably keep watching
Insecure - Nowhere near as good as it once was, but still enjoyable
Succession - this show just gets better and better, one of my favorites ever

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->