The Last TV Show You Saw?

^ Ah I've been wanting to start Insecure for years now! heard it's ending (or already ended?). They filmed some of the first season in my old building.. their crew let me borrow their dolly when I had to carry some stuff I got from Home Depot in my humble beginnings :lol:, never forget, long live Insecure!

This weekly thing was one of the reasons I love interest in some of Apple's offering.. I can't go back to that, I don't want other people to manage my needs lol, if I want to watch 7 episodes in a row and consume like a starved vulture, then.. good for me and for the network, right?.. I stopped watching Physical (which, btw, is hilarious!) for months because they kept doing that.

Btw, back on Succession and on my obsession with the theme song, season 2's "gender fluid illegals may be entering the country TWICE" is too funny.. ah, Fox, such junk. :rofl:

The first season of "Pen15" on Hulu, which did a fantastic and accurate job at portraying what it was like for teenagers to step into chatrooms for the first time in that era. Everything from choosing a username that'd make you sound cooler than you are, to choosing a chatroom whose name appeals to you....to falling in love w/ another user, to rushing home just to chat w/ that user, and not knowing any better. They totally nailed that part of the adolescent experience.

Whatever happened to chatrooms anyways? Are they still around? Or is this one of those things that fell by the wayside once social media came into play?

^it's interesting because what you wrote made me think back to how privacy was such a big deal in chatroom days! People would change a ton of details about themselves even when they weren't being seen or heard like today and could be anyone. Different world lol.

^Funny, because I thought people changed details about themselves in order to create a different persona of themselves first and foremost, but then also for privacy issues last. So yes, different world, indeed.

^I was pretty young and I just remember this prevailing concern about not putting your real info out there because people online are strangers, oh no! :lol: And there was this sense that it wasn't 'real' interaction anyway, internet friends didn't count as actual friends, that sort of thing. Now we put a ton of identifying information out there along with pictures of ourselves, our homes, our neighborhoods... it's so different.

^ the first thing I ever did on the internet were chatrooms lol and I remember my grandma was so freaked out she would sit next to me (I was 12-13?) and watch me 'interact' with other kids from like the other side of the world lol. Privacy was a huge deal cause at least in my surroundings, it was the place where people were easily pulled into things like Heaven's Gate, so entering these chatrooms with your real name was unheard of. There were also a lot of creeps over 30 in these chatrooms for teenagers, messaging privately with the usual 'wanna see my d*ck?', so I think people of that generation (early 00s) learned to change a lot of information and protect real stuff at all costs. I think forums are a relic of that time (the avatar, the usernames here, the fact that it would be super inappropriate to address someone with their real name in the forums).

Funny little story: I still exchange LETTERS every 2-3 years with the only real friend I made in a chatroom in 2000 (and first online crush I would 100% rush home or try to skip school for! :lol:).

Have you guys heard of Omegle? apparently it's a thing among teenagers. I was curious and checked it out once and found it way too scary (who's the grandma now..).. it's like an open chatroom where you don't even need to register.. I don't know, but it looks like catnip for creeps.

Omegle creeps me out. It was popular a decade or so ago, and I remember me and one of my siblings using it on occasion when bored, but it seems to have had a recent resurgence. I was definitely flirting with 50-year-old gays when I was like 13/14/15 on AIM and MSN chats, but now that I'm 30 I feel pretty horrified that omegle just randomly matches people with the camera already on. Popular YouTubers do Omegle themed videos and will get matched with some naked person wanking on camera. No warning, no screening process. What's to stop, say, an 11 year old from getting matched with a 60 year old, who may or may not have his pants on with a camera pointed in that direction. I'm shocked there hasn't been litigation around this.

^ me too! it's too crazy. I never played any video games but I assume it comes from that culture of being cool about mic/video interaction with complete strangers you did not necessarily.. select?

When I was 13, I honestly remember so clearly thinking 17 were people a bit.. over the hill so I wasn't interested in interacting with people that old. 20 was naturally too old and 30 was just.. the age of sad, ancient bankers. And 50= criminals :lol:.. and kind of stand by that but have lowered it now: 30 and searching for teens online? sex offender in the making.

I did interact with someone who was in her 40s, wanted to commit suicide and.. let a chatroom of teenagers know!? (another common type), I don't know how that happened but I remember cheering her up like 'please don't kill yourself! life is great!' LOL.. and one day she did disappeared. Vant98, if you're out there, hope you just changed to a different chatroom for new attention! :lol:

True story. When I was about 18, I got hired at the local Wal-Mart (Don't judge. t was in rural Illinois, and really was one of the only places where the kids worked at), and I had to submit a drug-test before hiring. And I let somebody in a chatroom convince me that it'd be safe to do E on Saturday night, and have it flushed out of my system by Tuesday. :lol:

BTW, didn't we have a chatroom here at some point? I think it was when our profiles started to look really myspace-ey.

^ didn't chatrooms come before google or wikipedia? it makes sense these strangers were our source of 'reliable' information lol..

I always found the chatroom here a bit intimidating, I think I only entered once or twice.. not intimidating in quality, but I remember that everyone would post like this: :bunny::bunny::wub::magic::buzz::brows::bunny::magic:.. rows and rows of the ugliest emojis and double entendre.

Back a bit on topic: tried watching Insecure.. think I made it to episode 3 fast-forwarding a lot and I still found it unbearable in its simplicity. Also, hot take: Kendall Roy=hot.. ish?. :lol:

I kind of wish there was still a chat room. If I was here when it existed, I never used it.

Kendall? Hard pass. I would literally rather f*** Logan than any of his sons. His son-in-law, however.....

^ no, pretty sure the chatroom ceased to exist in 2005 when tFS dramatically changed appearance and features and some members protested and organized a mass exodus LOL (some of them seriously never came back!).

Honestly I think it's Kendall's as*hole demeanor, delusional behavior, addiction and absolute loser displays that really speaks to my 'savior' complex. I mean..

yet all I see is a man cleaning up his mess.

Binge watched all three seasons of Santa Clarita Diet this weekend and I am sooooooo pissed to find out that f*cking Netflix cancelled it. They literally have zero taste when it comes to shows and movies, all of their good projects are either cancelled or ruined by unneccessary sequels. f*ck them! Ugh.
It's like the third time I watched a Netflix show only to find out it got cancelled for no good reason. When will I learn to check on these things beforehand?!

Ugh, thanks Aracic! Can't the Succession crowd go and create their own thread for all this fandom chatter? :ninja:
I follow this thread for inspo on what to watch.

I finished The Morning Show, and it had me gripped. Storyline is very relevant with some interesting new characters, but too many schmaltzy soap opera moments (and music!) with Jennifer Aniston. She's still good at it. As good as she can be, but that's enough for the role.
Didn't care much for the Italian woman 'railing against cancel culture', how original. :rolleyes:

"Dopesick" on Hulu. I never noticed this before, but Rosario Dawson seems to have the most perfectly symmetrical face.

I hate her.

Finished season 2 of The Morning Show. I've always thought this show was inconsistent, quality-wise. Great cast, but often under-utilized. Is willing to touch on controversial subjects, but stops short of fully going there. It can often feel like a generic Network drama, but the budget and cast elevate it to a place where it feels more like prestige TV. It's always just engaging enough for me to stick with it, but I wind up a bit dissatisfied. One major complaint I have with this season is how little of it is just the machinations of the titular show itself. The hosts always seem to be doing everything but hosting. There's so much potential for a great, juicy, salacious show that tackles interesting topics and isn't afraid to present alternative takes, but it just needs some finessing.

^ no, pretty sure the chatroom ceased to exist in 2005 when tFS dramatically changed appearance and features and some members protested and organized a mass exodus LOL (some of them seriously never came back!
And, thus, the rise of the modelhommes crowd. Andora hated them with a passion!

Speaking of 2005, I just watched old eps of the original Queer Eye. Did (Do) they need seperate guys for clothing style & personal grooming? I knew hairdressers and mua’s back then that could easily tackle both. The bootcut jeans and Custo Barcelona shirts really make me lol.

And, thus, the rise of the modelhommes crowd. Andora hated them with a passion!
Andora LOL.. she scared the hell out of me, but.. can we blame her? ‘a discussion on fashion?! uh chill~! it’s just fashion!’.. these peeps really helped empty this place out.

Benn, can you just start Succession already? you’ll love it! horrible people that makes you feel like you’re morally superior, what’s not to love..

Twin Peaks season 3. It feels long but I will try to get through it. The feel of this season is way different than the 90s show. There was a light and hazy humor to the original show that charmed me, even though there was also darkness and violence. I'm trying to get my head around the change of approach for season 3 so that I can enjoy it.

Hacks
Reservation Dogs
What we do in the Shadows

^ All excellent :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->