Vogue Paris February 2018 : Kaia Gerber by David Sims

She's a very pretty girl of course, but she can't seem to shake the pageant-princess look and attitude, which always drag down all-thing HF to mall fashion show whenever she's wearing it.

I share your sentiment. And this possibly an unpopular opinion but I always felt the same way about her mother.

Love it, anyone who can pull off such atrocious styling, and a look that bad gets cool points from me! And Kaia really made this work, she looks, possibly, the best i seen from her.

But why did they have to put "the daughter of CC" on the cover? :rolleyes:

There's no need to pimp Kaia out with this much enthusiasm. I don't feel like I'm seeing a new star, I feel like I'm seeing someone young and tender enough to qualify as fresh meat for the market, with parents who should know better than anyone else. There'd be no harm in waiting for two years and letting her looks (and mind) mature a little. Put the career on ice in favour of full-time college.

She has to have something on offer that comes from within. We have no shortage of 'models' who have a first-class surname and a second-rate face.
I saw a Cindy interview recently where she said she wished Kaia would have done just that! Waited few more years, but that there was no detering her from entering the industry. I believe her, with other social media models, and stars, every teen girl, or boy, wants the piece of that pie!

At this point, i don't mind VP's obsession with the 80's. Fashion is so much about nostalgia, 90's nostalgia, that at least, someone is interested in glamour and in an idea of fashion.

Only 80's glamour! That's how limited she is, and I'm beginning to think that's just about the fullest extend of her current creative ability. Or perhaps she's gripped with fear of trying something new and thereby alienating her existing audience? I don't know and I certainly don't care. Because when you're the editor in chief of (supposedly) most fashion-forward Vogue on earth which just so happens to find itself housed in the brightest of the fashion constellation, how on earth can you thrive on repetition???

So you forced (not inspired) top designers, photographers, stylists to further your vomitory 80's agenda to the extent that bottom of the barrel magazines have latched onto it. Kudos, now what's next??

No wonder the indies and newspaper supplements are are lapping up all the readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great cover. But she got it so quickly. I wish it were a different model.

Love it, anyone who can pull off such atrocious styling, and a look that bad gets cool points from me! And Kaia really made this work, she looks, possibly, the best i seen from her.

But why did they have to put "the daughter of CC" on the cover? :rolleyes:

Because everybody is going to mention that in order either to discredit her or to worship her...so, it's better to own that.
Plus, this is her 2nd VP cover, the first one being the one with her mother. So this is a reminder for the readers.

Only 80's glamour! That's how limited she is, and I'm beginning to think that's just about the fullest extend of her current creative ability.

Personally, i don't mind her referencing that era because it was an important era for french culture and french fashion. Every discussions we are having in the country at the moment goes back to that era that really defined something.

My issue is that she shares her aesthetic with a lot of people in the magazine. She is doing what she has always done, maybe less successfully but before she had Carine, MAS, Carlyne, joe...etc. to bounce back and to create an interesting, cohesive and desirable universe.

Her Vogue is obviously more commercial but it is also very inconsistent. I wish she had collaborators with stronger voices.

It's sad. And today we don't have that much choice. Vogue Uk is going Hollywood, American Vogue is Hollywood already but sells lifestyle, VI is kinda lost even with great individual eds and others Vogue are sometimes very amateur-ish.

So yes, as you said, the new voices are more and more going to be supplements.

Well at least its glamourous. After that Vogue UK cover it provides a little light relief! I hope there are some good editorials; Dec/Jan was pretty disappointing

I share your sentiment. And this possibly an unpopular opinion but I always felt the same way about her mother.

Always felt the same way about Cindy as well. I was 11-12 in the early-90s when she was everywhere and everyone loved her. And although she always came across friendly, as a HF model, she was very pageant-queen; There’s a reason why she wasn’t a muse to designers the way Christy, Naomi, Kate and Veronica were.

Still, Cindy was a woman at her prime and she presented herself as such. Kaia is just so saccharine-kiddy, so forced in her poses, like a sweet suburban cheerleader practicing poses in her mum’s designer walk-in closet. She doesn’t even have the edge Brooke Shields possessed at the same age. Squeaky-clean comes to mind with Kaia. And squeaky-clean is not a characteristic I ever wish for in HF.

Personally, i don't mind her referencing that era because it was an important era for french culture and french fashion. Every discussions we are having in the country at the moment goes back to that era that really defined something.

My issue is that she shares her aesthetic with a lot of people in the magazine. She is doing what she has always done, maybe less successfully but before she had Carine, MAS, Carlyne, joe...etc. to bounce back and to create an interesting, cohesive and desirable universe.

Her Vogue is obviously more commercial but it is also very inconsistent. I wish she had collaborators with stronger voices.

It's sad. And today we don't have that much choice. Vogue Uk is going Hollywood, American Vogue is Hollywood already but sells lifestyle, VI is kinda lost even with great individual eds and others Vogue are sometimes very amateur-ish.

So yes, as you said, the new voices are more and more going to be supplements.

Look, I like nostalgia as much as the next bloke Lola, but in equal parts with a heavy dose of realism and at least a touch of futurism. It's a bit baffling that Porter does Chanel's futurisric collection more justice with a Mars themed edit than French Vogue. When last have you actually seen something fiercely contemporary or futuristic in this magazine? Koller was the only one who had some semblance of individuality, of self, maybe Barbieri as well. The rest are no better than ladies in waiting.
And I know the French fashion appears to be losing the jewels in their crown hand over foot so I imagine that is why they've elected to pine for 'the good old days.' But with the position she's in, isn't there even a faint need to innovate? Anna is a businesswoman, Alexandra was an intellectual, Franca had a strong visual direction, what will her legacy be? As it is she's been the EIC with the most styling chops ever since she got the job, yet her Vogue is so stale.

This job should've gone to Marie Amélie, but maybe her being too chummy with Nicolas may have counted against her. Marie Amélie worked for worldwide editions and that diversity is what kept her work fresh.
I wonder when VP became so commercial because it was never their objective under Carine. She didn't put Paris Hilton on the cover to shift copies, it was to ruffle feathers, to make a statement, a 'sign of the times.' The reason why you're see Kaia Gerber on this cover is because the last one with her mum sold halfway decent and this is Alt's way to give us someone vaguely 'now' (even if this is only Kaia's second appearance, meaning she's got no actual connection with the magazine) while keeping the suits happy.

I’m having flashbacks to Kendall’s 2015-2016 Vogue cover run, I feel like theirs more Kaia to come. Kendall’s first solo Vogue cover was Vogue Paris too

I like the styling, I think this would have been amazing with a different model. Kaia doesn´t have enough presence for this type of outfit imo...

J'adore! Kaia is a good model, idk why so much hate, this is good.

i really don't mind kaia bc it was only a matter of time until she'd score vogue paris but the concept is really basic.

idk if i'd see it on a shelf i probably wouldn't say "omg gotta buy this".

I like it! Its playful. The styling looks tragic but in a weird way, it works?

However, a white background seems to be working for them every February. Feb 2015 - 2018 all had studio covers with their white backgrounds. So it must work for them.

Hate it all you want, BUT AT LEAST she did not reprint or share a cover with W Magazine. Yes, I’m still not over it.

Because everybody is going to mention that in order either to discredit her or to worship her...so, it's better to own that.
Plus, this is her 2nd VP cover, the first one being the one with her mother. So this is a reminder for the readers.

Good point, i love when people own it. I just felt like, since she graced her frist cover alongside her mother, it wasn't as neccessary this time around? I would have prefered just her name, that would be kinda bold, as well.

Anyone know if Kaia is the youngest VP cover model of the last decade? I can't recall the last time they had a teen on the cover? Maybe Daphne with Tom Ford? :unsure:

I'm okay with her presence, since she displays a certain level of potential, but what grinds my gears is that everyone from all sides are just shoving her and many others down our throats all at once and you know, it's overwhelming!

Always felt the same way about Cindy as well. I was 11-12 in the early-90s when she was everywhere and everyone loved her. And although she always came across friendly, as a HF model, she was very pageant-queen; There’s a reason why she wasn’t a muse to designers the way Christy, Naomi, Kate and Veronica were.

Still, Cindy was a woman at her prime and she presented herself as such. Kaia is just so saccharine-kiddy, so forced in her poses, like a sweet suburban cheerleader practicing poses in her mum’s designer walk-in closet. She doesn’t even have the edge Brooke Shields possessed at the same age. Squeaky-clean comes to mind with Kaia. And squeaky-clean is not a characteristic I ever wish for in HF.

So this. I always looked at Cindy as more of a Sports Illustrated model than a fashion model. She was too commercial looking and everytime they tried to make her look regal or expensive it would look like a caricature to me.

Kaia is even worse. I won't be going into too much detail at how she is tiresome, completely empty and plastic on instagram. It's the new breed of insta-celebrities, I'm already used to it. Zero personality.

But although she has the body to model, her face and her expressions are around the same level of every other insta-model-spokesperson. Gigi at least has some energy, some glamour to her. Kaia falls flat. Almost as flat as Kendall. She looks amateur. I can think of at least two other 15 year old newcomers, born from anonymous mothers, that are so much better than her. They deserve this cover so much more than her.

The cover falls flat in so many levels, to be honest. The white background is too harsh for the outfit, too contrasty. And it would have looked better as an inside picture, the Vogue logo feels claustrophobic to the image.

Anyone else getting tired of Saint Laurent being everywhere? I don't mind Kaia, she looks fabulous. It's these clothes I have a problem with.

I'm rooting for her!
images

Tenor GIF Keyboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DVV
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->