Vogue Paris February 2018 : Kaia Gerber by David Sims

Kaia is great the clothing also great but the way they present this cover is terrible

I would take Kaia over Hadids and Kendall and Cara any day. The cover is quite subpar but at least it's not Bella.

I quite like this and Kaia, and it's always a pleasure to have a full length image on the cover. I also appreciate that it's not plastered with text and coverlines. My only gripe is that the "O" in "Vogue" looks like it's forcing her head to the side and straining her neck. I will probably get this (especially considering the disaster that British Vogue have put out this month) if the editorials are good. Plus a feature (hopefully) on Diane Kruger - I'm desperate to see In the Fade.

I like the way when people say they don't like Cindy, the feeling is, "yeah, I can see that” but when people say they don't like Kaia, the response is "HATERZZZ" as if the quality of the reply suddenly switches to match the age of the model being discussed.

At the age of 16, your parents should still have some say over what direction you're going in life, but given the mileage Cindy's getting from having a daughter in the spotlight, I can see why she's encouraging it - after all, modelling is the only career Cindy's ever known in life.

But after that incident in 2009(?) involving photos of Kaia being bound and tied to a chair (at the age of 7 or 8), I'm always wondering what type of people were or are being allowed to surround this girl?

I have no idea what was going on with that case, but in the back of my mind, it means I'm still uncomfortable seeing Kaia work so much at such a young age. Money and connections don't mean you're protected.

Anyhow, this is diverging from discussion of the pages of Vogue Paris. I think Kaia does have something to offer, but I wonder how she’ll work on the pages of this magazine, where the content is based around – and aimed at – older women. Not teenagers, anyway.

Look, I like nostalgia as much as the next bloke Lola, but in equal parts with a heavy dose of realism and at least a touch of futurism. It's a bit baffling that Porter does Chanel's futurisric collection more justice with a Mars themed edit than French Vogue. When last have you actually seen something fiercely contemporary or futuristic in this magazine? Koller was the only one who had some semblance of individuality, of self, maybe Barbieri as well. The rest are no better than ladies in waiting.
And I know the French fashion appears to be losing the jewels in their crown hand over foot so I imagine that is why they've elected to pine for 'the good old days.' But with the position she's in, isn't there even a faint need to innovate? Anna is a businesswoman, Alexandra was an intellectual, Franca had a strong visual direction, what will her legacy be? As it is she's been the EIC with the most styling chops ever since she got the job, yet her Vogue is so stale.

This job should've gone to Marie Amélie, but maybe her being too chummy with Nicolas may have counted against her. Marie Amélie worked for worldwide editions and that diversity is what kept her work fresh.
I wonder when VP became so commercial because it was never their objective under Carine. She didn't put Paris Hilton on the cover to shift copies, it was to ruffle feathers, to make a statement, a 'sign of the times.' The reason why you're see Kaia Gerber on this cover is because the last one with her mum sold halfway decent and this is Alt's way to give us someone vaguely 'now' (even if this is only Kaia's second appearance, meaning she's got no actual connection with the magazine) while keeping the suits happy.

Your comment makes me think about putting a stylist as an EIC for a magazine like Vogue.
In the usual setting of a magazine, stylists are the ones who go out, who discover, worship new talents. Their job is to be out and about to find new ways to propose fashion.

So, when a stylist give up on that, she is also loosing track with what's going on.

Emmanuelle had her peak when she was collaborating with Chanel, Gucci, Balmain...etc. She had a voice outside of her magazine and that helped her renew her aesthetic and being aware of what's going on. She is still today but in a different way.

Carine was a wild cat. She became the EIC of Vogue because she was the hottest french stylist in the world at that time. MAS was working in the magazine already for a longtime and Emmanuelle joined the magazine right before while having being an EIC at 20Ans herself.
Carine never had to compromise on her styling gigs. She didn't spent the amount of time Emmanuelle spend in the office. I don't think MAS would have been a great EIC for the magazine after all.

She is very elitist in her approach to fashion. Yes, she has a great style but look at her eds. She was pretty much a storyteller. Emmanuelle is very style oriented. She is not the one who will come-up with a very elaborate story. Most if not all of her stories are great because the styling is great, the girl is great and the photographer is well chosen.

When you think about Carine and MAS, the styling is great but it's not necessarly the thing you remember the most in their stories. And that's why Emmanuelle aesthetic became so proeminent.

The magazine became commercial because it was the easiest and most obvious way to go after the rather controversial but glorious Carine years. The climate in 2011 in the fashion world didn't allowed any risks. It was impossible given the exposure and the success of the magazine to go bck to something intellectual similar to the Joan Juliet Buck years or even the very elitist Colombine Pringle years.

Emmanuelle will be remember as the "French girl next door". Her magazine is safe but in a time of doubts (look at now between VI, VUK and all), it is still the only Vogue that we can count on.

Just look at this cover. It's not exceptional but it is still 1000* more exciting and memorable than two hollywood actress in a reprint or a model wearing a very elaborate Vuitton look. She knows how to create an impact.

I'm not sure about the cover.. maybe with different model?

Guys, let's stop judging Kaia because of her age.

Gisele, Kate, Linda and others supers was at that same age at the first time they hit the cover of Vogue.
Caroline Trentine, said in a interview that her first job as a model was at age 14, with 15 she was living alone in NYC.

This job was always with the young girls.

The first cover of Gisele at American Vogue, she was a teenager with the coverline: "the return of sexy model".

So, with age 16 every model that everybody here loves was working hard. Why not Kaia?

I'm not her fan, I don't like her mother, but I prefer her over Kendal, Gigi, Bela, Cara forever. She's look good at the runway. Stop being so haters

The youngest models on the cover of Vogue US were Brooke Shields and Niki Taylor (at 15)
i really don't think age is an issue. It's just a bad cover and not because of Kaia.

I saw a Cindy interview recently where she said she wished Kaia would have done just that! Waited few more years, but that there was no detering her from entering the industry. I believe her, with other social media models, and stars, every teen girl, or boy, wants the piece of that pie!

Cindy was the one that pushed Kaia into becoming a model anyway. What did she think was going to happen? From the moment Kaia was a little girl and stepped into the spotlight when Cindy had on those talk shoe with her, she was grooming her into becoming a model.

I don't mind her on the cover, she has so much of her mother it's incredible! The YSL dress looks great, although a tad bit awkward and this 80's overload by Vogue needs to stop.

Kaia was 10 when she booked her Versace campaign, I think. But Cindy, knowing it was wrong, told her to wait until she's older before taking on modeling full time. Well, it seems 'older' just meant a wait of four more years. People can say that this model or that model also started young, but the current state of the fashion industry is no place for a 16year old. Especially knowing what we know. That's not even taking into consideration the late night parties, PR junkets for campaigns and events teeming with lecherous type of agents and bosses. Can't believe she's being exposed to peril like this.

I wonder whether Kaia will be in the Collections edit or whether she'll get a cover feature like a celeb.

Gisele, Kate, Linda and others supers was at that same age at the first time they hit the cover of Vogue.
Caroline Trentine, said in a interview that her first job as a model was at age 14, with 15 she was living alone in NYC.

This job was always with the young girls.

The first cover of Gisele at American Vogue, she was a teenager with the coverline: "the return of sexy model".

I for one like the cover, however, I do understand where people are coming from. The models you described looked like young women when they were that age. Kaia looks like the 'cool girl' in HS; a bit young, a bit like she needs to finish puberty. I think give her a year or two to fully mature and people won't complain about her appearance anymore.

Then again, people love to complain about something, so... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the state in fashion is the same than eg 10 years ago, only difference is that now we are more aware...

but why are we discussing her age in a context that´s not her talent? I remember that no one complained when a 16 yo Tanya Dziahileva posed topless in those powerhouse agency spreads in V magazine years ago...

For me, the age thing is just another to discredit her. I hate double standards and i don't get why this is an issue suddenly.
The only thing that should count is: does she look like a model, is her work promising enough for her to be just a trend?

If she can raise question on the age of models why not? But Cara Taylor who is from the same generation doesn't receive such harsh criticisms.

And one thing abou Cindy potentially "pushing her daughter to become a model". Let's be honest, why wouldn't Kaia not be a model? Cindy had a very solid career, she became an icon, she made a ton of money but unlike Kate Moss or Naomi, she never really had to experience the bad side of her celebrity. She "retired" quite early from the runways, she remained famous and maintained her status. So, she was able to live the good life while having a family life. Kaia has always been surrrounded by all of this. It was a matter of time for her to follow her mother's footsteps.

I would for example totally understand that kate Moss's daughter wouldn't want to become a model, judging by the unwanted attention her mother received sometimes.

And, in a Hollywood world, a 16 years old girl is different from the average 16 years old girl. And that doesn't justify or excuse anything.
If age should start conversation, then it should be beyond Kaia. And the "Gisele looked like a woman at 16" should even count as a justification.

And, in a Hollywood world, a 16 years old girl is different from the average 16 years old girl. And that doesn't justify or excuse anything.

She certainly is - and those who take advantage, whether they're a stranger or someone closer to home, will justify it and excuse it in every way they can.

We must all have an endless appetite for hearing the words 'me too' for the foreseeable future.

But Cara Taylor who is from the same generation doesn't receive such harsh criticisms.

But that's the thing: Cara Taylor outshines Kaia in a way that, in a perfect world where only talent would matter, Kaia would never be considered to front this cover. If we only look at the 15 and 16 year old models, Kaia is VERY weak in print. Now... why did she get this cover? I can make a quick list of 15/16 year olds that would have killed it (kind of, since the photography, make-up, styling and layout are also terrible).

No bs here, let's be honest, there is only one reason she got this cover and it was not her talent. The letters near her torso might help.

The youngest models on the cover of Vogue US were Brooke Shields and Niki Taylor (at 15)
i really don't think age is an issue. It's just a bad cover and not because of Kaia.

Brooke Shields was also posing topless as a preteen. I would like to think that some things change but apparently not.

Lola: Her age has absolutely nothing tot do with Kaia’s weakness. Her lack of modelling grace validates all the harsh criticisms.

Christy and Naomi were 15 when they started and they were effortlessly smouldering. Mila and Brandi Quinones were 14 and beyond their years in terms of self-awareness and natural grace. Then there’s Brooke Shields, of course. Different times, I know... Not to mention, there are many other unknown 15yo girls who can run tracks around Kaia without breaking a sweat— but like Estefania mentioned, they’re not fortunate enough to have Cindy as their mum. No one ever said the fashion industry was ever fair.

This cover’s select looks too familiar to Cindy’s signature profile-pose in any given 80s rag; maybe it’s because a lot of shots of Kaia that get approved seem to mimic her mum’s past. It’s a little cute in the beginning since she’s such a mini-Cindy. Now that she’s getting the covers for the alpha-Vogues, she needs to stop with the playing-dressup-as-Cindy— along with the junior department-store poses. It all cheapens the HF aura.

And I guess that we’re in a more prudent moment in fashion, where that brand of insatiable Lolita-vibe that Brooke Shields so playfully mastered to legend, is looked down upon on as inappropriate and exploitative these days. So safe, squeaky-clean teen playing dressup with amateur poses is what’s going to sell.

Brooke Shields was also posing topless as a preteen. I would like to think that some things change but apparently not.

David Hamilton took the pictures. And now we know what kind of degenerate man he was.

And yes things changed. You will never see a full frontal shoot of a 12 years old naked girl in a fashion magazine. Or any magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->