Vogue Paris March 2021 : Quinn Mora by David Sims

A preview of the David Sims feature:

When you’re out of all the sources: models, stylist, creativity, choreographer, background, idea. Just unnamed girls hanging around all over the place.
Gosh this editorial is an epitome of Covid era.

But it could be the only Vogue that he would work because it's the only one that keeps doing fashion contents.

This thread looks like that one dedicated to Glenda Bailey (a "book editor" accoding to Google, hahaha). Farneti deserves this kind of comments. This is a bad cover, yes, but this is not a consistent thing in Alt's Vogue. Reminds me of to the dark/industrial period of VI, when people asked for a new editor firing Franca. Look at VI now. That's what you get.

I didn't know about Olivier. I have a bad feeling every time I read "the GQ guy" here because of Farneti. The only male editor I care is Dan Peres from Details.

So but that still doesn't change the fact Franca last few years without Meisel is good, it's quite directionless and some cover it's just bad. At this point Alt hase nothing left to prove, her Vogue is going to be like this until she leave. Her lack of diversity not only in terms of models but also in the way she won't allow people with different POV inside her magazine. That doesn't help when she styled her own editorials. Franca and Anna (not currently) magazines are great because they are never style their own editorials, they let the creative team have the total freedom to do what they want, the EIC job should just be pick out what they think fit for their magazines. That why Carlyne, Suzanne or Anastasia works are always more interesting elsewhere rather than inside Alt VP.

And I don't like the idea to keep Alt here just because we fear we may have another VI. Worst case scenario we have another Farneti, that should reflect the taste of the suits at CNF not people who asking for new talents.

And the preview of the main edit doesn't look promising, if you want an all black edit you should call Babeth Djian, Alt.

So but that still doesn't change the fact Franca last few years without Meisel is good, it's quite directionless and some cover it's just bad. At this point Alt hase nothing left to prove, her Vogue is going to be like this until she leave. Her lack of diversity not only in terms of models but also in the way she won't allow people with different POV inside her magazine. That doesn't help when she styled her own editorials. Franca and Anna (not currently) magazines are great because they are never style their own editorials, they let the creative team have the total freedom to do what they want, the EIC job should just be pick out what they think fit for their magazines. That why Carlyne, Suzanne or Anastasia works are always more interesting elsewhere rather than inside Alt VP.

And I don't like the idea to keep Alt here just because we fear we may have another VI. Worst case scenario we have another Farneti, that should reflect the taste of the suits at CNF not people who asking for new talents.

And the preview of the main edit doesn't look promising, if you want an all black edit you should call Babeth Djian, Alt.
Yes! The lack of diversity is the negative part of this edition. I said that in another thead (don't remember if I did it on the cover rumor place). VP needs a shake of reality, I beyond agree with that. And about Franca late years, the criticism of her work was when Meisel was the main photographer, shooting all the covers. It was before june 2015, I remember reading those comments in the first threads of that year. That wasn't Franca's best year, the identity crisis of VI starts right there, when Meisel stopped doing all the covers and the main eds. But her final year was pretty solid. Even the Bruce Weber issue about dogs was good.

Thank you! Sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Uneventful cover but I really like the ed. Very French Vogue.

However I agree with people saying that the magazine needs more diversity, not necessarily in terms of being deliberately ‘aware’ of social issues but in terms of creativity. I miss the time when Carine was EIC and she discovered so many new French talents ( Violette par exemple ) and introduced unconventional beauty standard to the editorials, way ahead of her time.

That being said, this magazine is still promising and is the only Vogue that matters at the moment to be fair lol.

I’m sorry but i don’t want another Farneti just because Alt’s point of view is strict and narrow. She gave us very good moments last year and the same way we cannot pretend to see inventive collections from designers every 6, or 3 months, it is realistic not to expect EVERY month to have amazing issues, of course some of them will fail...and that’s ok, to have regular issues. I understand people are angry because it’s thre march issue but even so it’s always a possibility to have just “normal” issues.

Saying that, i think Alt knows her formula and how to make it work, and give something very precious to her Vogue and that’s stability. Of course she needs to improve her vision and let others help her to make it stronger as well as improve on diversity ( she just did babysteps)and to impulse new talents but in a way her Vogue represents a portion of Paris. So unless that part of society change her Vogue will remain the same because it’s reflect how Alt is.

^^ I understand the part of diversity in terms of creativity and stylling. But it's more serious the lack of non-white models on its covers. I'm pretty sure that the population in France is more diverse than this.

And about Alt, hahaha. She's the strongest editor of the big 4. I'm not talking about the 26 editions of Vogue, but it's true about the rise of Vogue Portugal (and its male counterpart GQ P.). Maybe Anna, Edward and Farneti are doing their job so bad, taking wrong decisions. They missed the point of Vogue being a fashion magazine and not one about politics. Never forget VI's Black Issue (and others). You can talk about social topics without losing the glamour. 3 of that group looks now like Time magazine and not a fashion publication.

^^ I understand the part of diversity in terms of creativity and stylling. But it's more serious the lack of non-white models on its covers. I'm pretty sure that the population in France is more diverse than this.

And about Alt, hahaha. She's the strongest editor of the big 4. I'm not talking about the 26 editions of Vogue, but it's true about the rise of Vogue Portugal (and its male counterpart GQ P.). Maybe Anna, Edward and Farneti are doing their job so bad, taking wrong decisions. They missed the point of Vogue being a fashion magazine and not one about politics. Never forget VI's Black Issue (and others). You can talk about social topics without losing the glamour. 3 of that group looks now like Time magazine and not a fashion publication.

yes! But i meant represents a portion of Paris society not in racial terms because of course they are very diverse but in terms of her strict point of view.

I agree they can talk about social politics without losing their DNA and don’t try to be pretentious. True, fashion reflects the times we live in but each media have to choose their approach in their own way.

If Alt overcome her shortcomings in diversity and supporting new talent, she is gonna give her Vogue a pleasant refresh.

There’s no need for Vogue to touch on social issues. We have Elle, Figaro, Le Monde for that.
Alt is a great editor but her magazine has done it time. Carine’s VP wasn’t great because she is a great editor but because her magazine had a diversity of POV. She did not styled all the covers and her assistants weren’t just a delite version of her.

The great thing about the pandemic is that it has forced Alt to change her way of working. She relied on the same photographers and suddenly, she had to adapt.

I kinda miss when VP was an All Stars magazine (not the fake promise Edward made).
What’s the point of doing a Carlyne-lite ed when you can have Carlyne?

Once again, Franca and Meisel were the only ones to talk about social topics in their magazines. Both were one of a kind.

Once again, Franca and Meisel were the only ones to talk about social topics in their magazines. Both were one of a kind.
True but the beauty of it all was the luxury Franca had for being the EIC of VI. She was clever for taking that direction and doing it with Meisel for a magazine that has for first language Italian. It’s all a matter of context. Nobody else could have done that and I don’t think she could have done that elsewhere.

We see every month how Farneti struggle with that heritage. Fashion was always an important point of Meisel’s ed, no matter how serious the subject chosen was. With Farneti, suddenly, fashion is in the background.

I feel like Farneti has that snobbish attitude of « I’m more than/above fashion ».

The good thing about Emmanuelle compared to Enninful and Farneti is that her magazine is her vision and she is not ashamed of the frivolous aspect of fashion.
She does not want to compete with Time Magazine but at the same time...Nobody wants her to.

There’s no need for Vogue to touch on social issues. We have Elle, Figaro, Le Monde for that.
Alt is a great editor but her magazine has done it time. Carine’s VP wasn’t great because she is a great editor but because her magazine had a diversity of POV. She did not styled all the covers and her assistants weren’t just a delite version of her.

The great thing about the pandemic is that it has forced Alt to change her way of working. She relied on the same photographers and suddenly, she had to adapt.

I kinda miss when VP was an All Stars magazine (not the fake promise Edward made).
What’s the point of doing a Carlyne-lite ed when you can have Carlyne?

But exactly what you mention of Carine is part of the reason what makes her a great editor during her VP time, to see beyond herself or her style. Her Vogue was not about her own style of wearing clothes, imagine pencil skirts for every issue. i feel she is more enthusiast of fashion and images, and sometimes she pushed too much that was part of the reasons she is not there anymore.

Alt build o redirection her Vogue around her way to dress and nostalgia, quite succesfully i would say but at some point you can get the feeling that she is not capable to take VP the next step and that the magazine is in a constant loop.

I get your point on your Carlyne example...she can make her Vogue stronger its not that difficult but her narrow POV block her way.

I agree Farneti and his team are very snob and think they are above fashion, even the articles are so stupid. They want to be “intellectual” and “artsy” but actually they make a fool of themselves.

I actually really like it! don't care for the layout but always here for a glam girl tired from dancing on studio 54.

Quick review

edita in miss vogue (fitness)
Ysl by da id sims - posted
And best of the season by David sims again with loads of new girls like you are flipping through vogue Italia November 2020 (I recognize Georgia Fowler) some pics are nice but girls are so unpretentious that they spoil the whole story

that’s all folks

Quick review

edita in miss vogue (fitness)
Ysl by da id sims - posted
And best of the season by David sims again with loads of new girls like you are flipping through vogue Italia November 2020 (I recognize Georgia Fowler) some pics are nice but girls are so unpretentious that they spoil the whole story

that’s all folks

Haha, I love that sentence. I understand completely what you mean.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a very very creative issue to skip. Even though I can never complain about Edita in Vogue Paris, I already know what it will look like. Did they sign some sort of contract that she can be in the magazine but only do those B-list editorials? The woman deserves the main spread.

Looking forward to the next issue.

Flicked through the digital issue just now and I'm sorry to say except for Edita being stunning as usual there's really not much to excite me. The main editorial is very... bleh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->