Marc Jacobs S/S 2007: Dakota Fanning by Juergen Teller

I like this. At first I was worried that their would be some sort of sexual vibe to the pictures but seeing these takes away that fear. These looks very sweet and kooky, certainly better than some of Juergen's recent ads for Marc Jacobs. I do like that they made the clothes in her size and didn't attempt to tart her up and make her look older. If anything she looks younger than ever. I do agree that this is an odd marketing strategy though, putting the clothes on someone who is not only a child but looks younger than most is an odd way to sell things to women. Though very young models are often used they usually look their age or older, Dakota looks about 7 in these pictures to my eyes.

I think I am supposed to know who she is. But I have no idea.

^shes a famous child actress in the US. i don't know if she is well known in other countries

julesrules815 said:
^shes a famous child actress in the US. i don't know if she is well known in other countries
Thank you :flower: I have never heard of her. I live in Denmark, btw. We don't know sh*t about anything, really :lol::ninja:

softgrey said:
as an adult i do not want to wear clothes that look like they belong on a twelve year old...

i think this is TERRIBLE marketing strategy!...:ermm:

you are right, I wouldn't buy the same clothes a little girl has.

is she big in Japan? for some reason, i thought she was. if she is, i guess Dakota is a good campaign star for Marc because he is pretty popular in Japan, i think.

haha Dakota annoys me for some reason but i think the ad is just adorable and funny. Despite having the clothes done in her size, it reminds me of a little girl playing with her mom's clothes, in such a naive way. i love it. :heart:

I was just under the impression that the Fashion industry was going to try to find a way to more appropriately market women's clothing. Due to complaints about the models being too thin, and average women not fitting into those sizes. So this seems like a step in the opposite direction? Hahaha.

i didn't think first about that. but that seems a very good point!!!

little girl playing with her mom's clothes, in such a naive way
that's being boring. it's so cliché! but i don't think about that seeing dakota playing in her own (i'm pretty jealous everything has been tailored just for her!) marc jacobs clothes.

i think this is TERRIBLE marketing strategy!...
agree tons.
but i think you forgot about all kids. marc has launched his kids line!!
by the way : do we have any photos of his kids line?

She looks like a little seven year old girl dressing up in her mommy's clothes :sick:

i'd rather see him using a more mature woman to do that ads. Dakota is cute but she belongs to Marc by Marc.

I agree, Marc By Marc would have made sense, but I guess the campaign would lose it's whimsical point. This isnt Marc's first use of an odd choice of model, it's nothing shocking, his last menswear campaign had a woman modelling the clothes.

KhaoticKharma said:
I'm creeped out by kids in designer fashion.

Yes I agree^_^. I think that Marc is just trying to be controversial (whats new! lol) and this will definitely make news headlines, sooner or later.

Also...did anyone ever pay attention to Marc Jacobs ad's anyway? Did you ever take them seriously? The S/S 06 collection was the strongest (imo) and yet he used that girl from the White Stripes and put her in a cheap motel room.:sick: :sick: :sick:

Marc, I get that you're eccentric and risque and 'different' but really...putting a scary midgit in adult clothes is a little terrifying and wrong and it makes me feel uncomfortable, on all levels possible:innocent: :angry: :sick:

i love it! i think its very innovative. it's not so much to advertise the clothes but the image of the brand, Dakota is adorable

i am actually a huge fan of the ads of marc jacobs shot by mr. teller.....i dont know why this seems "weird" to some people on here..

marc jacobs have a lot of inspiration from dark child themes, and shares visual ideas with the likes of tim burton and the hipster movement. A lot of his clothes, even from the main line, have that little girl charm, from either the way they are cut, like the puffed sleeves and empire waists, to the large whimsical prints, like his newest endevours in the gucci reminiscant red leopard print dress for fall. even the accessories from his mainline ( ex: large gold sequin beret hat thing), and his handbag endevors (the murakami collab with LV and anime characters) plays with fashion and NEVER takes anything too seriously, but always instills that child-like demenor to his clothes whether they be the main line or the marc by marc jacobs line. if you know marc jacobs, then you get why he used dakota in the ads, and that it fits his quirky design styling.

i dont see this as any different than his other ads, with not-to-model-thin (and gorgeous!) meg white, to sophia coppala, with her unique profile that many would not consider high fashion......dakota is like a 35 year old actress trapped in the pale hauntingly fragile 12 year old body. i watched an interview with her a while back and it was one of the most bizaar things ever. she looks like a sweet little girl that would like to play with my little ponies, and bratz dolls.....and then you hear her talk and she's dead serious about acting and has this very intellectual little person inside her tiny little frame with her big bug eyes.

i am head over heels about these ads! and i'm still keeping my fingers crossed they take all of the past and present ads and put them in a huge art book i can go to B&N and buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->