The Last Movie You Saw?

I've been on an Old Hollywood binge for a while - the last movie that I saw was Wesley Ruggles' Two Many Husbands with Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas. Prior to that, Alfred Hitchcock's Charade and Spellbound.

Run isn't that bad, it's pure camp, which is to be expected with Sarah Paulson as the villain.

Watched Larry Clark’s Bully again. It must have been almost a decade since I last viewed it.

With the Daniel Franzese’s revelation that Bijoux Phillips abused and tormented him relentlessly onset like a middle-school bully, the subcontext really adds a new dimension to the story of lifelong bullying that ends in tragic results.

This is a film that would never be possible in these puritan times: Aimless, sexually-precocious and numbingly violent teens on the rampage-- adn murder lead by girls. And all such unlikeable characters too boot. And the way that Larry shoots the sex scenes that linger a tad too long on the still-teenage girls is admittedly uncomfortable for 2001— in 2021, the conservatively-sexual twitter mob would be calling for his head as a predator, in much the same way that they did for Maïmouna Doucouré’s equally poignant Cuties. It’s a world of sugar and spice and everything nice in 2021 where girls are the “empowered and always altruistic, selfless” superheroes fighting for SJ… And the reality that young girls can be irresponsible, selfish and destructive in their youth and ignorance is a topic that can never be discussed let alone shown thee days.

The entire cast is solid. Even as hugely unlikable characters, the cast never falters on their portrayal of such vapid and destructive people. Larry likely cast actors that either lived that lifestyle or were too familiar with that way of life. Talents like Larry's and Maïmouna’s will be-- and are, unfairly shunned and dismissed these days. I just hope that they will find a way to continue creating such poignant and potent films that aren’t afraid to reveal another side of youth.

Monster Hunter.

LOOL…Not enough monsters!!!! If I watch this convinced that it’s not Milla— but it’s really Linda Evangelista, it’s passably such dumb fun and still superior to those virtue-signalling Marvel dreck... Linda Evangelista: Monster Hunter, would have been stellar!

To Catch a Thief and Nomadland. Nomadland was great, I really enjoyed it. Cinemas have recently opened up as well, so it was great to watch it on the big screen. Plenty of further reading about Swankie and Linda May on the web as well, this was a good read: Harper's Magazine

I've been on an Old Hollywood binge for a while - the last movie that I saw was Wesley Ruggles' Two Many Husbands with Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas. Prior to that, Alfred Hitchcock's Charade and Spellbound.
Charade is one of my favorites - but it’s actually not a Hitchcock film! But so Hitchcockian!

I just got a HBO Max subscription, which, for streaming services, is my offical go-to for film + TV.

I watched the Tina Turner documentary. She really did have the ultimate revenge story, no? She was married to this awful, awful man; then she found the courage to finally dump his a**; then she created her own musical career that blew his out of the water; and she did all this when she was at an age when most women's musical careers start to simmer down. What a life she's lead!

Then I watched "Drop Dead Gorgeous". I haven't seen the movie in close to 20 years, but I still remember all the corny quotes from it. And trust me on this one: that really is what life is like in small-town middle America! I remember when I first watched it, I thought "The girl that plays the sl*tty cheerleader won't ever be seen again." And that character was played by Amy Adams..did I strike out on that prediction or what?

Finally, on Hulu, I TRIED to finally watch "Parasite", but Hulu displayed it with both English + Spanish subtitles. I actually like reading Spanish subtitles, but trying to juggle both languages, and still pay attention to the movie? Fuggedaboutit.

This week, I tried, for the umpteenth time, to watch "Breakfast At Tiffany's", and, like previous attempts, couldn't get past the first 20 minutes.

I do love the old "classics", esp. when noted for the costumes, but this movie bores me to tears!

My first time visiting a cinema since this whole pandemic struck, to watch F9 with the family on Saturday just gone. It has been a longstanding tradition that we go to the cinema to watch the Fast and Furious movies, so couldn't not and LOVED it (partially because it felt like a slice of normality).

Bunny Lake is Missing, When it comes to British film in the 60s, it's either rat pack-ish/mod/swinging which the fashion set love to reference, or what we refer to as kitchen sink realism which is the sort of stories about the working class in gritty pubs and harsh poverty. Bunny Lake is neither, and maybe that's why I like it so much. It's a classic Otto Preminger psycho-thriller with all the elements from the Saul Bass title sequence/poster, perfect storyline, casting, and set design. The ending also is very odd and unexpected, I honestly believed the woman went insane! LOL.

The Servant. Came across this on some arbitrary must-watch list on an LGBTQI site (either Attitude or OUT). Well, there's nothing overtly gay about the movie other than Dirk Bogarde, who was gay in real life. I suppose it made the list because of the (sexual?) tension and homoerotic undertones between the two male characters, which is interesting to watch. They are basically living as a gay couple, laughing and fighting until the femme fatales came along.
It's really all about class, the ultimate marker of Britishness. Class is what separates the posh bloke from his servant, and how the tables ultimately turns. The lovely Wendy Craig's character who is clearly upper-class and a walking British Vogue editorial (I can see Edie Campbell in it) doing her best to keep a distance between the males based on class, while the woman who ruins everything is styled plainly in a Jean Shrimpton do, tight skirt, and pretty much pouting and batting eyelashes the entire time.
Always thought of Harold Pinter's works as stodgy and outdated, but The Servant is timeless in a way.

Antebellum,
dunno what to make of it. The direction of the movie, cinematography and colours are really gorgeous. And the story had me gripped right until the end. But knowing how it ended, just can't get behind what we're supposed to believe. Too unfinished and far many unanswered questions. Not in a 'oh, but you have to interpret it in your own way' sort of way, really just unfinished.
Janelle Monae's is stunning and her scenes on the plantation definitely stood out, and I wish they had gotten someone with more presence to replace Jena Malone. But overall it just feels strange to watch a fictional slave movie because it leaves you with the impression that some of the torture scenes may not be factual so you cannot take it as gospel, but then, I dunno, it also feels weird to nitpick considering the sensitive topic?

Inheritance,
which only succeeds as a vehicle for Lily Collins. It was honestly one of the weakest recently-made thrillers I've seen. The storyline makes no sense, I scare easily and not once was I scared or tense so that's saying much, and the visuals are just meh.
Also thought that the casting is just so unbelievable for starters - are we supposed to believe Lily is an Attorney General? :lol: Looks like a teen playing dress-up most of the times. Also, her chemistry is off and unbelievable with the husband and child. This role needed a mature actor but I guess Lily got it because of her following, and prob Emily in Paris. There is one plus I suppose, her lip colour. It's impeccable throughout the movie. 99% sure that's thanks to Lancome.

Pinterest

Spiral: From the Book of Saw

Surprisingly, I enjoyed watching this. A lot better than all of the sequels of Saw except for the first two. It's a little weird though to see Chris Rock in this role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->