The Last Movie You Saw?

A Polish movie called Sweat that's still stuck in my head.

Such a good film, I caught it on Mubi and at first I didn't know what to make of the main character...but her speech at the end was so powerful, I couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards her. If only morning TV was half as entertaining in real life!

I've seen many reviews that paint her as a villain or psychopath but to me the scene with her mother, if anything, only reveals how cold and distant her upbringing was...which probably explains why she reserves her affection for her followers online, she just doesn't know how to connect intimately.

I also saw The Draughtsman Contract for the second time and frustrated myself trying to figure out the mystery at the center of the film. In spite of this, I liked it more than the first time, I wish we would get to see the 4 hour version someday...I just live for this kind of astute, darkly comedic drama.

I also recently watched Drop Dead Gorgeous for the first time and...it was exactly what I expected, I do understand why it flopped at the time of its release because it's a bit too bitter and unlike many popular "teen movies" it doesn't try to paint teenage girls as perfect mannequins stumping fiercely in their designer clothes with the wit and machiavelism of a Choderlos de Laclos' character. I did find it lighter and easier to digest than Election which is too depressing for my taste..

I'm also delving into Abbas Kiarostami filmography, so far I've liked two: Where's my friend's house and Behind the Olive Trees. Taste of Cherry and The Wind Will Take Us made me feel like a comple philistine for I was bored to tears, they're probably the kind of film that is more interesting to analyze than to watch.

I've seen many reviews that paint her as a villain or psychopath but to me the scene with her mother, if anything, only reveals how cold and distant her upbringing was...which probably explains why she reserves her affection for her followers online, she just doesn't know how to connect intimately.

That's crazy! I think she seemed a little stunted in how she related to people, but she clearly wasn't a psychopath. :lol: She had a very humanistic moment with the stalker guy, why do any of that if not out of compassion and a strange moment of connection? And then her speech at the end explicitly says that she gets positive interaction through social media that she lacks in her real life... I thought it was a pretty solid movie. The only thing that threw me off is that she basically had no life whatsoever aside from work/online and that seemed odd and unrealistic to me.

My first time visiting a cinema since this whole pandemic struck, to watch F9 with the family on Saturday just gone. It has been a longstanding tradition that we go to the cinema to watch the Fast and Furious movies, so couldn't not and LOVED it (partially because it felt like a slice of normality).
F9 was the first movie I saw when cinemas reopened too. It has been a tradition to see the Fast and Furious movies in the cinema with my family as well.

I have also seen Jungle Cruise. It was entertaining! Lots of action and a few laughs.

Last edited:
Taste of Cherry [..] made me feel like a comple philistine for I was bored to tears, they're probably the kind of film that is more interesting to analyze than to watch.
Meanwhile, I feel like I would actually enjoy it (my tolerance for insufferable movies and people goes a long way!), I've dreamed about traveling through the Iranian countryside for a long time now. This was recommended to me years ago by the kind of person that triggers this infantile 'anything you like, I don't like, whatever you hype, I will never touch', so I remember saying 'I'll try watching it' and thinking to myself '..never'. So I haven't watched, but maybe it's about time to.. grow up? :lol:

Zola. Some nice photography. I don't care if there are two versions to this twitter thread-turned-movie because "this bitch" (Riley Keough's character) is physically, linguistically, morally and everything else, the clone of the neighbor I had to endure next door for almost two years. They exist, and they're awful! I still wish there were no legal consequences for dragging someone by the hair across a hallway, cause that was ALL I wanted in 2015!

I think the last movie I saw was Black Widow, a couple of weeks ago. Not amazing, but had a more intimate feel than most Marvel movies and it makes me realize Scarlett would be perfect in a serious espionage movie.

Scarlett, Rachel Weisz, and Florence Pugh all being onscreen together almost sent my gay self into bi panic.

Malignant

Not that really scary but I must say it was entertaining. The twist was a little unexpected because I, along with my sister and my Mom, were throwing together some thoughts on who could Gabriel be, the malignant entity. :lol: Although my sister kind of got it right when she first shared her piece on what causes Madison (The lead) to see visions.

No Time to Die.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish, been waiting to see this at the cinema since April 2020 and was definitely worth the wait. Not to mention the joy and excitement of actually being at a cinema (albeit feeling a little uneasy with how busy and crowded it was!).

No One Gets Out Alive

Don't waste your time with this. It's boring as hell.

Terminator 2

still really good today, although dated. The acting of John Connor was pretty mediocre but it didn't bring the movie down.

Restrepo, Korengal & The Last Patrol. A documentary trilogy about war. Or.. just some guys with a ton of testosterone, extra deep voices and ugly tattoos, but it's really good, eye-opening work by war journalists. Highly recommended. It's not about war itself because I supposed it's general knowledge that it is pointless, it is also not about violence, it's just.. male camaraderie, group decision-making, isolation, loss and the aftermath of having gone to war. Didn't think I'd watch the rest after crying a bit too much watching Restrepo :ninja:, but glad I made it through, The Last Patrol in particular really brings some kind of bittersweet closure to a lot of questions raised in the first documentary.

"Bruno". Absolutely ridiculous, but I still love it. The scene w/ the psychic and the dead guy from Milli Vanilli still has me in tears!

Paprika

weird *** movie but beautiful animation. I think Satoshi Kon always just created cinema, it was well above anime.

Dune Part 1.

This film is gorgeous in every aspect, from frame to frame. If anyone balks at the mere mention of fantasy/sci-fi, this stunning take on a legendary story may just change their mind. Denis is a visionary in the realm of fantasy/sci-fi filmmaking, in genre that is usually so overcrowded in tacky, cheesy and dumb tropes. And speaking of cheesy, the David Lynch version— which has always been so charmingly cheesy, is even more so laughably campy by comparison now.

And speaking of overcrowding; sci-fi films are usually so cluttered with silly designs and usually ugly CG-compositions, it’s a chore to tolerate them. It’s the reason I can’t suffer those mindnumbing Marvel superhero garbage. But Denis has produced such a sparse, and yet still richly referential sensibility in his worldbuilding; concentrating on only what he wants to showcase and still expanding this forboding, savage and still opulent alien world, in all its beauty and barbarity, and in all its complex tones and atmosphere. And this brand of minimalist, disciplined, and thoughtfully retrained sensibility is carried over to the dialogue, that his Dune almost works as a silent film— thankfully spared of any overcooked, hammy banter. He’s the OG Helmut and OG Jil of the film world. (And I’d like to fantasize that Haider is dressing Timothee, while Riccardo is dressing Rebecca… and Jason looks best when he’s not wearing anything. And Oscar is simply magnificent to look at-- more so in a scene where he's naked.)

Timothee and Zendaya remain the weakest link of the ensemble. …I get that their casting is to attract the kidz to a sombre sci-fi— and pat themselves on the back with that “diverse and inclusive” money-making gimmick. And I get that a ME/Indian actress isn’t going to ensure that Zendaya followers will go see this film, but had a ME/Indian young actress been cast in Zendaya’s place, the film would have been so much more improved. And that the lack of ME/Iranian representation still bugs since the world of Dune owns so much of its cultural and aesthetic identity to these regions. That Herbert’s Freman and the Imperial ruling caste system are clearly based on ME and Arabian/Persian patriarchy alongside Islam, but that Hollywood instead rather represent the Freman as North African Beduin in cultural and race for this film is so typical of the current white saviour complex trend in society (and they’re likely just fearful of presenting a ME aesthetic in the context of a resistance fighting a Holy War that might enrage some Islamic fundamentalist groups). And despite all these setbacks, Denis has made a tremendously, freshly, exciting film filled with such stunning, simply sophisticated visuals that refine sci-fi pulp. That’s how vastly talented he is.

(Unfortunate that the studio didn’t allow Denis to film the entire story at once so that Part 2 may be release a year later. Now filming will commence in 2022 with a release date thereafter just breaks the momentum of the story. And Part 1 already feels incomplete as it is without such a long wait for the sequel.)

As someone who *loved* Blade Runner 2049 (and some of his other films as well) I'm so excited to see Denis' take on Dune. I heard a while back that there's an extended version many hours long that could be released as a miniseries on HBO?

^^^ Oh you won’t be disappointed. Such visuals. Which has been what every single interpretation of Dune has been lacking— amongst others things. Until now.

Think you’ve confused the planned series surrounding the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood with this feature film. Guess you can call the HBO series an “extension” and essentially canon since it will be a prequel to the events of Dune.

Denis is sort of a genius control freak, and how his feature films is edited for presentation is the final version. Unfortunately, I can’t see him surrendering his artistic integrity for an extended version. The sparse, minimalist visuals and story beats works for his version— even if there’s so little development for certain characters. I wouldn’t complain if there is an extended version of this release somewhere down the line. Just more gorgeous visuals to feast upon. (Not once was I reminded that there’s CGI in many part of the film. The royal family and their army’s arrival on Arrakis is such an example of CGI being so seamlessly integrated… And Jessica’s Kuwaiti Princess look with its long train blowing in the wind accompanied by her handmaidens, amongst a phalanx of their soldiers is all kinds of gorgeous that’s just one of many gorgeous visuals…swoonworthy...)

No Time to Die

I had been waiting to see this movie since its original planned release in 2020 and it did not disappoint. I have seen it twice at the theatre and absolutely loved it both times! I highly recommend it to anyone who is a James Bond or Daniel Craig fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->