Puma - The All-Things 'Puma Sneakers/Trainers' Thread

it's going to be interesting in nyc...
because the PUMA store and the McQueen store are practically next door to one another...
(it's a special PUMA store that only carries their designer collaborations)

so i am anxious to see who will get first dibs on these sneakers...
the article specifically mentioned that the ny store with carry the sneakers though...
hmmmm...

:huh:...

:innocent:

Yay for the collaboration though I don't wear sneakers.

Sounds good. Even though it's business, it's McQueen and I trust his creativity was the most important thing for him, business for his CEO. I can't wait until they're on Yoox:heart:, If I like them I might pick one up - I'm in high-school, it's hard to pull of Ann D riding boots - I need sneakers :heart:

I already have a pair of Neil Barret for Pumas and I like them, they're unlike what the other kids carry, which is great.

mcqueen and puma party:

(freddie has signed up for them -a 4 year deal worth 4.5 mil)

freddie-ljungberg-puma03.jpg
freddie-ljungberg-puma01.jpg

freddie-ljungberg-puma04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Acid said:
i went to the party for this
they showed the shoes on big flashing screens, but they werent very memrable, just black

did you see freddie?

^ nope didnt see him
wish i had though, i was getting my head bitten by a wierd model and asked for cocaine by undercover reporters though, fun times!

Acid said:
i went to the party for this
they showed the shoes on big flashing screens, but they werent very memrable, just black

Just black? :unsure: Yecht.

where did u find the press photos?
there should be some of me with JP and rosie

Alexander McQueen Puma

I went window shopping... and went to one of my favorite stores.
They had new Alexander McQueen Pumas. I thought it was pretty cool. The sales person was going on and on about how it was inspired by 18th century anatomical drawings and details were based on McQueen's own foot.
I really wanted to buy it but I had to control my impulses.
Here is the one I liked.
http://www.eluxury.com/browse/product_detail.jhtml;$sessionid$RSMWWZBLMAWRHLAUALPCFEQ?styleid=10990757&program-id=780&ad-id=57&_requestid=223477

i don't think they look like anything special. anyone know how expensive they are?

Puma's Ready to Pounce

Hussein Chalayan to collaborate with lifestyle brand
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
(PARIS) Hot on the heels of the news that PPR's recently acquired Puma brand had helped its net income increase 34.6 percent to 922 million Euros, or $1.26 billion at exchange rates, the robust German lifestyle brand is expected to announce its latest venture on its ongoing vertical climb to boost its style quotient: a design collaboration with Hussein Chalayan.

A spokeswoman for Chalayan declined to reveal specifics on the partnership; instead, full details will be disclosed Thursday by Puma chief executive officer Jochen Zeitz, who will be joined by Chalayan at a press conference in Paris at the Salon des Miroirs. Chalayan, meanwhile, is scheduled to present his fall collection this evening.

As part of the deal, however, it is understood that Puma will provide the necessary financial backing for Chalayan, the supremely talented designer who, though he has met with critical acclaim for his envelope-pushing ideas, has had a harder time achieving commercial success. PPR, on the other hand, has made furthering its foray into fashion one of its chief objectives since acquiring Gucci Group in 2001.

This isn't Puma's first venture in the fashion world, having tapped PPR-owned Alexander McQueen to design a collection of upscale sneakers for the brand.

source: Fashion Week Daily

I adore Hussein Chalayan. Anyone else excited for this collaboration? It should be interesting!

sound exciting, think will be a very good/profitable move for puma and for puma lovers (me included)

yes... - exciting. If anything like McQueen - it will be the same as regular Pumas, but for $400..

or since it is Hussein - maybe there will be Vag**as showing - based on his recent collection

An article from WWD

Puma, Chalayan Team Up
Published: Friday, February 29, 2008
By Emilie Marsh

02290802dc6.jpg

Puma chairman and ceo Jochen Zeitz and Hussein Chalayan.

PARIS — Sportswear brand Puma AG on Thursday named Cyprus-born designer Hussein Chalayan as its creative director and acquired a majority stake in his signature fashion brand, confirming a report in WWD.

Financial terms of the deals were not disclosed. The announcement came a day after the London-based designer unveiled his fall women's wear collection here.

"Hussein Chalayan is a proven visionary in the fashion industry," Jochen Zeitz, chairman and chief executive officer of Herzogenaurach, Germany-based Puma, said at a press conference here Thursday. "As creative director, he will bring use of new technology, forward-thinking design and a provocative point of view to Puma."

Chalayan becomes Puma's first creative director, according to Zeitz, as well as the first fashion designer to be appointed as creative director of a major sports label. Last year, retail and luxury conglomerate PPR purchased a 62.1 percent stake in Puma.

"Acquiring majority shares of the Hussein Chalayan brand is giving Puma the ability to move into a new space, expanding our reach to become the most desirable sports lifestyle company in the world," Zeitz said, noting that the designer retains a substantial share in his namesake company.

Last week, Puma, Europe's second largest sporting goods brand after Adidas, reported that full-year earnings increased 2.2 percent to 269 million euros, or $371 million, on sales that rose 0.2 percent to 2.37 billion euros, or $3.28 billion.

This is not the first time Puma has ventured into the fashion arena.

According to Zeitz, Puma's collaboration with Jil Sander 10 years ago was the first between a sports label and a fashion designer — ahead of rival Adidas' Y-3 collaboration with Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. "[Puma] was the first to use the word 'fashion' in our strategy and to do collaborations with designers such as Jil Sander and Neil Barrett," Zeitz said.

The company has since tied up with high-end designers such as Alexander McQueen and Philippe Starck. Puma also boasts a cobranded shoe collection with Italian motorcycle maker Ducati Motor Holding SpA, and last year it tapped Dutch designer Marcel Wanders to create an accessories line. It also has a denim collaboration with Hong Kong-based Evisu and produces jeans in-house as part of a new lifestyle subbrand, dubbed Dassler.

Zeitz said the partnership with Chalayan brings its fashion involvement to the next level. "This is not a collaboration; this is a long-term partnership. He is part of our business and we are part of his," said Zeitz.

"This isn't a short-term relationship; this is a marriage," agreed Chalayan. "Combining Puma's infrastructure and technological platform with PPR facilities, we will be able to turn experimental ideas into reality, both for the Puma and Chalayan lines. Hopefully people will have the means to access real products evolving from our process rather than only seeing them in shows and events."

Effective immediately, Chalayan will take on the creative mantle designing all product categories — footwear, apparel and accessories — for Puma's Sport Fashion and lifestyle categories. The collections, which will be positioned at a premium price point for the sportswear category, will be sold through select Puma stores, key concept stores and shop-in-shops worldwide.

"My way of thinking is very appropriate for sports," offered Chalayan. "There is something in sportswear that is less transient than in fashion. You are constantly building and developing products and technology."

Zeitz said he hoped the deal would boost Puma's apparel business, which today is led by the brand's footwear sales. For 2007, Puma sales in the footwear segment increased 1.9 percent to 1.48 billion euros, or $2.02 billion at average exchange, while apparel sales increased by 5.7 percent to 998.7 million euros, or $1.37 billion.

Puma also will help to build Chalayan's business internationally, according to Zeitz. "The time has come now for [Chalayan] to fully expand his potential and build his brand. It is the best opportunity [for Chalayan] to evolve in a retail environment," Zeitz said.

Zeitz did not rule out building stand-alone Hussein Chalayan stores in the future, but said the company would aim to grow via wholesale channels in the short to medium term.

"His line will be sold at top accounts. We will build a viable business model before venturing into other channels," Zeitz said. Chalayan agreed. "We want to become a global brand, but gradually, in a healthy way," the designer said.

^ I know, right? My expectations are set pretty high for this collaboration.
I hope whatever they come up with will be better than the Alexander McQueen for Puma shoes-those didn't really interest me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->