The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been quite awful with the 4-5 pieces. In one hand I did ok because I didn't buy often at all in 2014. But on the other hand... I thought I might use pinterest to pin things I like but I always ended up buying them... and they of course ended up being left in storage...which then prompted me to donate them because I see no point having things just go to waste...

I also hit a wall at the beginning of this year and a lot of things changed so I donated further things last weekend and now I am ready to start from scratch and really focus on that one piece per month, on having a cohesive wardrobe etc... I have purchased the workbook from "into-mind" so I really hope it will help me...

The only things I kept and still want to integrate are my handbags + coats + shoes. Luckily for me all of them are in black/grey so I can easily build from there.

I kept enough clothes to last for 2 weeks without washing them but once I have completed the workbook I intend to donate those as well. I don't feel like I found my "brands" for specific items of clothing (apart from Burberry for the coats) so I really hope with a bit more focus and patience, I will. I think I used to be too all over the place and although I really love what I bought I want to be more focus and learn to tell a story and express myself a bit more through my items. I am taking a gap year so hopefully it is the perfect time to educate myself...!

Oh and ta-ta, I love your love affair with Lanvin ^_^. I saw what I would call the perfect after party dress but it is way too expensive for "just" the after party ...

^I think you have a pretty solid foundation to build on if you have all the bags shoes and coats you need:wink: Have you updated your pinterest wardrobe board?

I find that Polyvore is better at helping you visualize your wardrobe. Whenever I add something to my wardrobe I try it out on Polyvore first. I have drafts on polyvore where I have all my clothes, shoes and large accesories mapped out. I can also do seperate SS/FW capsules. It becomes very easy to spot bad purchases. If the color doesn't harmonize with everything else, it is very noticable, and I can tell if I start to accumulate too much of one item (like ballet flats:innocent:). I think the girl behind into-mind uses polyvore a lot as well:wink:

Now that you are taking a gap year, I am hoping we will se more of you in this thread! It would be great to have you back:flower:

yoox

Well, Yoox is finally speaking my language ... they have the 20% off right now, and I got an e-mail that they added more items to the sale, which included this blouse with a new markdown ... and so I ordered it. Looks like it should fit well ... we'll see.

Today I discarded a black silk cardigan that is definitely more than 10 years old. It was worn out at the wrists. I think I probably got it in the 90s actually.

I was staying with a friend last weekend and commented that a different sweater I was wearing was from the 90s, and she said she didn't think she still had anything from the 2000s! It honestly drives me mad the way she acquires and discards things ... and doesn't take care of her things, or invest in quality anything ... we really can't even talk about it :ninja: My sweater has a funnel neck, which stands away from the neck and helps make it the warmest sweater I own, and she said she would have gotten rid of it due to the uncomfortable neck. I calmly pointed out that she had never worn the sweater ... :P

Attachments

• Lanvin blouse.jpg
    Lanvin blouse.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
PS This blouse is btw a continuation of the aforementioned Lanvin love affair :wink:

^Haha, I didn't need to be told it was Lanvin! Its you after all:wink: It is really beautiful!

I definitely have people in my life who I can't talk to about the 4-5 pieces method. A relative of mine noticed I had an Acne scarf and couldn't understand how I could justify spending so much money on a scarf! I didn't tell her that my scarves are quite inexpensive compared to a lot of the other stuff I own and love:innocent:

In your friends defence, I can imagine that a funnel neck in acrylic or some other low quality fabric might be quite uncomfortable:P

Betina: I checked out the breton, and they look really nice! I'm amazed at how reasonably priced they were. Too bad they don't post to Norway:doh:

You are very intuitive :wink: And thank you.

She used to live very close to my favorite mall, so we went there together once. She went in J Jill, and I left to do some other shopping & came back. When I got there, she was buying a bunch of stuff, like more than I buy in a whole season, including a sweater she already owned in a different color that had pilled horribly according to her. But she was buying it again!! Noooo .... :o When she accused me of being a bad influence, I said tartly that if she were influenced by me, she'd be shopping very differently :wink:

Great you're back EvaH! Love reading your posts. Curious how your wardrobe is going to look.

I've tried a lot of stuff from my wishlist and some things are nice some not. See my wishlist on pinterest for my comments. So far I'm only keeping the used black jeans.

@Eizhowa: they are really nice, yes! It is funny I never consideret it before now, since one of my friends had it in every possible colour, when we were in elementary school/high school.

________

I haven't shopped for two months now, I can not remember when that last happened, but I am still very happy with it. I miss it a bit, but nothing crazy, since I keep discovering things in my closet, that I had, if not forgotten, then just not really worn that much..

Also, I have very few things on my wishlist that I REALLY want. The only thing I am (almost) sure I will get, when I allow myself to shop again, is the breton blouse. A lot of the things (especially more expensive items) that I have been dreaming of being able to afford also seems less interesting now - like the Mulberry Willow bag. I really like it, but I have so many bags, especially when I think about how few of them I use. Right now I almost only use my Mulberry Bayswater (we just celebrated our 5 years anniversary :D) and my Michael Kors bag. Which means I have both a Stam bag, my YSL mail and my Milli Millu Copenhagen bag, that I almost never wear. And since all of my bag-needs are covered pretty much by the Bayswater and my Michael Kors bag (+ my mail clutch for special occasions), it seems kinda silly spending so much money on a new bag, even though it is pretty. Especially when my income is not that high, and I have other things I want to spend my money on as well (dining out, vacations, furniture)

Well, Yoox is finally speaking my language ... they have the 20% off right now, and I got an e-mail that they added more items to the sale, which included this blouse with a new markdown ... and so I ordered it. Looks like it should fit well ... we'll see.
I wish I liked Yoox a bit more. They seem to have a great collection of items as I have seen a lot of really pretty pieces here from them. But just like TheOutnet I have given up on them because the website doesn't work that well with me (it is a bit too much work). I also realised that I liked the internet to look for things but I would rather buy them in a store..

I was staying with a friend last weekend and commented that a different sweater I was wearing was from the 90s, and she said she didn't think she still had anything from the 2000s!
That's one of my fear as well ! I tried to buy good pieces but at the end of the day I don't seem to care much about them... I realised I am more of a jewellery and handbag (and to a lesser extent shoes) person thus no matter how nice the piece is I can easily give it away... I think I like to not have too many things and I guess I will be that kind of girl who is always giving away her items after some time just because I don't want to accumulate too many things .. Maybe it will change once I will have a bigger house and a very big closet because as of now, I hate bringing things to the storage.

^I think you have a pretty solid foundation to build on if you have all the bags shoes and coats you need:wink: Have you updated your pinterest wardrobe board?
Yes I did ! I just have a "my closet" pinterest board with the 10 pieces I am keeping and I want to use as my "foundation". I really hope the other stuff will find a nice home. At least the charity shop I gave them to were happy ^_^

I find that Polyvore is better at helping you visualize your wardrobe. Whenever I add something to my wardrobe I try it out on Polyvore first. I have drafts on polyvore where I have all my clothes, shoes and large accesories mapped out. I can also do seperate SS/FW capsules. It becomes very easy to spot bad purchases. If the color doesn't harmonize with everything else, it is very noticable, and I can tell if I start to accumulate too much of one item (like ballet flats:innocent:). I think the girl behind into-mind uses polyvore a lot as well:wink:

Now that you are taking a gap year, I am hoping we will se more of you in this thread! It would be great to have you back:flower:
Yes I am going to start usig polyvore because pinterest is just not working for me at the moment ! I need to see my things and that's one of the reason why I just gave most of them away. I really love her blog and so far the workbook is working!

I definitely have people in my life who I can't talk to about the 4-5 pieces method. A relative of mine noticed I had an Acne scarf and couldn't understand how I could justify spending so much money on a scarf! I didn't tell her that my scarves are quite inexpensive compared to a lot of the other stuff I own and love:innocent:
Having expensive items can also be disadvantage... It was a real struggle when travelling because there are places where you just don't want to bring that great Xk£ bag or this gorgeous 500£ silk coverup or those amazing sandals. I felt like having such gorgeous and quality pieces limited me in the location where I could wear them.. and when we went backpacking in Thailand I had to buy a whole new cheap capsule wardrobe which was a bit silly but...

Great you're back EvaH!
Thank you :blush: I am glad to be back! I love love your style and I think we tend to gravitate towards similar pieces and designers so it helps me a lot ^_^.. I only wish I was as focused as you are!

I hope Red will be back too at some point. I am obsessed with her approach!

I find Yoox really easy to use. I have premiere searches set up for the things I'm most interested in, and their ordering and returns processes are really easy. I do find Outnet returns to be difficult. What they offer isn't available to me in person. Lanvin period is quite difficult for me to find in person now, and at a deep discount, impossible.

I'm not in a situation where money is no object, so to me it's a matter of respect for my own time, money, and the resources that go into what I buy to get my decision right in the first place, and then use what I buy as long as I can. When it doesn't turn out perfectly, unless it's truly disastrous, I suck it up and make a note for next time.

Now this is something I don't understand ... If you're going to take it all to the charity shop anyway, what does it matter whether something is too expensive for Thailand? :lol: My own view is that there is some risk involved in owning anything, but it doesn't stop me from using my stuff. It's rare that I lose something ... but if it happened, that would be OK. It would happen in the line of duty. Everything in my wardrobe gets used, or that's the goal anyway ... nothing is meant to sit there & look pretty.

I can undetstand why you would feel uncomfortable wearing luxe clothes if you were in a place where that would be very unusual, or even inappropriate.

I personally really like used stuff. That way I don't have to worry about the items loosing value because of normal wear or tear. My balenciaga bag was scuffed when I got it so I don't fuss about it if it gets another one. I do properly hiss though, if somebody steps on my Porsellis:angry::lol: I think my aesthetics have developed to fit with my financial situation:P (I mean, what is sexier than a wool jumper with a hole in it?)

I think Yoox has a lot of beautiful items, but they don't offer the real garment measurements, they over-pin certain items, and they only offer express shipping. That's a deal breaker for me.

^ I agree that the model not wearing her own size is really confusing. Understandable, I suppose, given that they just have whatever sizes are left over, but the pix of the clothes on the model become almost meaningless. I do wish they would use a real-size model for the real-size clothes :P

For the US, a variety of shipping options are available ... I usually don't have to pay for basic shipping I think (it was free this time for sure, maybe always).

Great you're back EvaH! Love reading your posts. Curious how your wardrobe is going to look.

Indeed!!

Right now I almost only use my Mulberry Bayswater (we just celebrated our 5 years anniversary :D)

Aww, congrats! :Pink: Me and my Alexa will have out 5th one in September too. I have it almost as long as I am with my boyfriend.

Ta-ta, gorgeous top, have you received it yet?

I think Red's one piece per month approach is the best for me too. Last month I went for a new bag, which I have been wearing with pleasure ever since and this month I was convinced by my mother that I need a new pair of trousers for Spring. :mrgreen: I have a pair from Mango (their cuts are great for me, I have three pairs already) saved for weeks and ordered them today, along with the grey tee I have been looking for for ages! Can't believe such basic items are the most difficult to find really. This one's cut is a bit different though and I know it will suit my pear-shaped figure very well.
Very masculine these two items, non?

mangooutlet

Attachments

• 13028803_02.jpg
    13028803_02.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 23003597_13.jpg
    23003597_13.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1
Haven't gotten it yet, but it has shipped ... with free shipping it's on the slow boat :wink:

Like the cut of the pants, look like they should be very comfortable.

Thank you :blush: I am glad to be back! I love love your style and I think we tend to gravitate towards similar pieces and designers so it helps me a lot ^_^.. I only wish I was as focused as you are!
Thanks! But the downside is that I'm sometimes too focused/critical and searching very long for some items I want.

Jinadaze Very nice trousers, looks comfy. They remind me of Dries van Noten's trousers in his S/S15 collection. (A lot of things I'm seeing lately reminds me of him, weird :D.)

I have a bit of a small clothes crisis right now. I really like the cute french simple chic look and I feel like my french wardrobe is almost complete right now. I have a couple of designer jackets and good basics, but recently I'm liking the British look too. Skinny jeans, plaid shirt, silver jewellery, crop top, Topshop. And it's completely different from my style right now.

instagram.com/shy.girl

I have a bit of a small clothes crisis right now. I really like the cute french simple chic look and I feel like my french wardrobe is almost complete right now. I have a couple of designer jackets and good basics, but recently I'm liking the British look too. Skinny jeans, plaid shirt, silver jewellery, crop top, Topshop. And it's completely different from my style right now.

instagram.com/shy.girl

I would say your style doesn't have to remain set in stone for all time ... what about getting a plaid shirt, and seeing how you like it?

I find that a lot of the impulses pases... I have been craving a suede fringed jacket for the past week... Not my style at all!

I like traditional british pieces (tweed, barbour, velvet), and I find that they combine easily with ballet flats, bretons etc.:smile:

Maybe you could try one new element to give your french style a twist? Clemence wore plaid as well:wink:

(Ps. are we allowed to quote pictures now? I see this happeining in pretty much every thread and the mods don't seem to care)

People of the internet, I need your help! I finally got my hands on some low waisted jeans that I have been pining for for ages, so now I need belts...:innocent:

I have been looking for some nice leather belts for ages, with zero luck. There always seem to be something wrong with them. Ugly buckle, ugly leather, wrong proportions etc. etc. Either I am looking in the wrong place or I am looking for stuff at the wrong price point. Do you guys find that good, nice looking belts are very expensive? I thought I would get away with 500 NOK per belt, but all the nice ones seem to be 3-4 times that (not that I have found any nice ones that were just right either...)

I would really appreciate recommendations (here or on Pinterest)!:flower: All pricepoints are welcome! If I can't afford something now, I can save up for it for the next time I go abroad on holiday:smile: I need one belt in tan and another in black.

I found two belts I liked the look off, so you can see the details, size/shapes/colors I like:
14uqa0.jpg

15h5ro.jpg

katemossonline.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11