The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
therealreal

Ordered this today ... after Christmas shopping, hitting Aveda and Fresh for their Christmas and Black Friday deals, and buying a little silver tinsel tree (decorated it today :buzz:), second-hand is about what I had $$ left for :lol: Hopefully the fit will be good ...

If this works, it will be my first LBD ever :wink:

Attachments

• Lanvin black.jpg
    Lanvin black.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so out of the loop in this thread, been so busy with apartment renovations this autumn that I haven't had the time to think about clothes at all. :unsure:

I actually haven't purchased anything since September I think, when I received my boots from Frye, which I am absolutely in love with. They are so well made, and my feet love them. :wub: Back in early autumn I also bought a pair of suede heeled booties which are super comfy (has a small platform) and works well with most of my semi-dressy outfits. I wore them around lots on my trip to London in October with no pain, so yay for comfy heels!

I also rediscovered a pair of vintage heels that I think I bought when I was still in high school, that had been hiding at my mother's for the past ten years. I don't think I'd worn them even once back then, as they were a little big and a little too high for me, but now I popped a sole and a half sole in them and they are perfect. They have been my go-to dressy shoes this autumn.

So I am really loving my shoe wardrobe at the moment, which is a first for me! :woot: I am finally admitting to myself that stilettos are not for me, I feel like I always look a little wobbly in them because my feet are quite wide. I think I'm going to try to sell the Sam Edelman Okala pumps that I bought last year, as well as the Geox pumps that I got this summer. They are both super comfy, but I just don't think they look right on me, and they haven't gotten much wear.

I've also been sewing a bit lately. I picked up a wool coat that I started making back in 2012, and for some reason never got around to hemming and adding buttons to. It's a black double breasted coat with a fitted waist and fairly wide skirt, and a champagne silk lining. Hemming the lining is the only step that remains. :wink: I've been wanting a new wool coat for a while and haven't been able to make up my mind between that or that raincoat I've also been coveting. If this coat ends up being wearable I think I will get the raincoat after Christmas.

I made this skirt recently as well from a vintage fabric that my grandmother gave me (here are the vintage shoes also ^_^:(

Attachments

• Skjørt.jpg
    Skjørt.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2
Caramel i love that skirt!

i very rarely wear skirts but i found this beautiful silk skirt today and couldn't resist. hopefully there'll be a dinner or party i can wear it to over the holidays. :heart:

i also found this cosy sweater with pockets which is perfect for layering in this chilly weather.

63ce815f8984f4bdabe37eb914e1f91e.jpg

aritzia

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 5
^ Cozy :heart:

I make a point of creating occasions to wear fun things if they don't arise on their own :wink: I wore my new wool dress to a museum preview, and I just put a dinner on the calendar where I plan to wear it as well, with some fun shoes ...

Hi, all

Really laughed out loud on comments on screwed (? right word?) earrings. Am using my antique jade with gold screw on earrings today, and actually they are one of my fave. Never thought them to be torture device, but now I will never see them in the same way again, haha

I just had a very stressful time since I last came here, and as usual, I shopped like crazy. Clothes (mainly dvf) and bags. Found Bottega Veneta, and am so IN LOVE with their quality!

Some very nice things I've come across here! Great job guys. :flower:
What is your dream location Jinadaze?

I've been searching for over a year now for the perfect black wool blazer. Tried Acne (should have bought that one), Stella was rather wide, SL are boxy/wide, and recently I've tried Gucci and that one was really nice, fitted in a great way but when buttoning up the fabric began to peep/bulge at my collarbones, weird :wacko:, why oh why, so that one was also not for me. :cry: The search continues. :muscles:
Tried some Haider fitted high waisted pants, but the crotch area wrinkled too much.
The sales are beginning and I'm on the look out for some warm knitwear and a pair of leather pants, something like Acne or Helmut. I need some good online shopping karma. :P
Currently sewing a pair of suit pants and trying to sew a long skirt with pleats, ultimately translating in a black voluminous skirt of wool.

^ I wonder if the tailor could fix the wrinkling?

I have had good luck before at shops that carry nice work clothes ... I found a favorite black wool skirt there, from a label I had never heard of. Design was really great. Have you tried Boss?

Yesterday I wore my favorite ribbon embroidered sweater ... and it may have been for the last time. It has a hole near the wrist ... it's black, so it could be fixed & probably no one would notice. But sooner or later, I'm going to have to face the fact that it's worn out. (It's definitely worn all along the insides of the arms, there are thin spots, etc.) Today I am thinking that perhaps that should be now :lol:

Wishing you good shopping karma :heart:

Hi, all

Really laughed out loud on comments on screwed (? right word?) earrings. Am using my antique jade with gold screw on earrings today, and actually they are one of my fave. Never thought them to be torture device, but now I will never see them in the same way again, haha

I just had a very stressful time since I last came here, and as usual, I shopped like crazy. Clothes (mainly dvf) and bags. Found Bottega Veneta, and am so IN LOVE with their quality!

ShockWave just blew away my reply in progress :angry:

You have come to the anti-retail therapy thread here :wink: I realized many years ago that when I went shopping in a weird mood, I came home with weird stuff :lol:

How do you find DVF quality? I really like Bottega Veneta too. I have a makeup bag that I keep my lipsticks in, and when I take it out, people want to touch it :lol: The leather is really soft and beautiful. I wish their ballerinas had elastic ... that seems to be the key to their fitting in all types of weather with all types of hosiery. I have a couple pairs of their shoes ... one came with an extra pair of heel taps that I've never yet needed. Such a nice touch ...

ShockWave just blew away my reply in progress :angry:

You have come to the anti-retail therapy thread here :wink: I realized many years ago that when I went shopping in a weird mood, I came home with weird stuff :lol:

How do you find DVF quality? I really like Bottega Veneta too. I have a makeup bag that I keep my lipsticks in, and when I take it out, people want to touch it :lol: The leather is really soft and beautiful. I wish their ballerinas had elastic ... that seems to be the key to their fitting in all types of weather with all types of hosiery. I have a couple pairs of their shoes ... one came with an extra pair of heel taps that I've never yet needed. Such a nice touch ...

oooohhhhhh..... what color is the makeup bag? yes, the leather is so silky. my bag is big and i found that i keep stroking it whenever i use it. hahahaha silly me. never tried their shoes, though. how is the fitting compared to ferragamo?

i just did shoe closet cleaning, and so happy to find my old heels. i stopped wearing heels last year due to knee injury, and just tried using 6 cm wedge this year. hopefully I can start reusing my heels soon. i really dont need to buy more shoes then.

am quite ok with dvf. sometimes the fitting is strange (or my body is strange?), but i always love their silk top as it is comfy in hot humid weather, yet still looks ok. would you kindly enlighten me on your experience with dvf? quality not so good?

oooohhhhhh..... what color is the makeup bag? yes, the leather is so silky. my bag is big and i found that i keep stroking it whenever i use it. hahahaha silly me. never tried their shoes, though. how is the fitting compared to ferragamo?

i just did shoe closet cleaning, and so happy to find my old heels. i stopped wearing heels last year due to knee injury, and just tried using 6 cm wedge this year. hopefully I can start reusing my heels soon. i really dont need to buy more shoes then.

am quite ok with dvf. sometimes the fitting is strange (or my body is strange?), but i always love their silk top as it is comfy in hot humid weather, yet still looks ok. would you kindly enlighten me on your experience with dvf? quality not so good?

Yes, ShockWave was automatically installing on my new laptop, and closed IE quite abruptly, blowing away everything I'd written ...

The bag is purple. It wasn't out ... they keep a lot of things in the drawers or perhaps sometimes in the back, so you really have to talk to the SAs in order to see everything. This may be a Tomas thing, as he runs his own stores the same way.

I cannot wear Ferragamo shoes really, although I did have one pair years ago. I think my arch is too high for their last. I think Bottega's fit is fairly standard ... some of the shoes can be very structured. The Mary Janes I have I can't wear barefoot. The flats' leather is similar to what they use for the bags--which makes sense ... many of them are intrecciato.

I don't think I have owned any DVF ... I really like her, but of course I am kind of anti-print, so that's an issue. I really only see her things at Nordstrom and the quality doesn't look too good to me, but it could just be what their buyers are bringing in. The prices are relatively low, of course, but at that price point, I think 3.1 is better ...

Hmmmm, will check on 3.1 then. I think they just opened a boutieque here in Jakarta. Thanks for the tip! and I really envy your high arch, you must have those gorgeous banana feet when you pointe your feet!!

Received my dress today ... it has some kind of marks on it. It looks like someone got solid antiperspirant all over the dress, and then couldn't get it out. So I get to take it to my cleaners tomorrow & see if they can fix it ... other than that little snafu, I like it. And really ... could someone please get the word out about the stuff I wear that doesn't leave marks?! :rolleyes: We are constantly bombarded by advertisements, you would think they could do some good for once ...

This is obviously very much the downside of The RealReal ... but what I do like is the measurements. Lanvin definitely does not have one standard fit ... the knits fit one way (small!), some things are slim cut, others have lots of room for curves. I have to judge based on the pictures and what I know when shopping online at a regular store, but having the measurements (even though they aren't exact) really helps. The combination of the three helps me make better decisions.

^ I wonder if the tailor could fix the wrinkling?

I have had good luck before at shops that carry nice work clothes ... I found a favorite black wool skirt there, from a label I had never heard of. Design was really great. Have you tried Boss?

Yesterday I wore my favorite ribbon embroidered sweater ... and it may have been for the last time. It has a hole near the wrist ... it's black, so it could be fixed & probably no one would notice. But sooner or later, I'm going to have to face the fact that it's worn out. (It's definitely worn all along the insides of the arms, there are thin spots, etc.) Today I am thinking that perhaps that should be now :lol:

Wishing you good shopping karma :heart:

I read an article on dressing chic, where the author said that if you think you can get one more wear, from something thats worn out, it should be thrown away immediately because it already looks too shabby.

Long time, no see :flower: I have been beyond busy, and have missed you guys a lot!

@Ta-ta: the dress look gorgeous - it seriously ticks me off when people sell items that are faulty in some way. I just think it is plain bad behaviour. Hopefully karma will bite them in the butt. Hope the cleaner is able to fix it - I would demand a reduction in the price anyhow. Your new ballet flats are gorgeous as well.

@Caramel: I remember you showing that fabric in the sewing thread. The result is gorgeous :flower: would love to see the coat as well.

@Adorefaith: The print is beautifull! Hopefully a party will come along - otherwise I think it would look great for everyday as well with a fitted light weight sweater in beige, nude or a light grey - and for spring with ballet flats and a white shirt.

BTW you guys might need to "settle" for a trip around Europe, since my hubby to be and I are very close to securing our dream location as well :wink:

Yesterday I finally returned the coat I was talking about. I have really been back and forth, but in the end it was not "it". I think I have come to the conclusion that the current outerwear style is just no good for me. I feel like most coats are oversize or very long and that just looks ridicoulous on me since I am so tiny. Also a lot of coats are very open in the front, and that makes no sense to me. So I'll wait to the right coat comes along - not exactly sure how it will look though - I want something feminine and classic.

For some reason I feel like I have shopped a lot lately, but in reality I can only recall a few thrift finds. A couple of weeks ago I hit the jackpot, when just leaving the house to go grocery shopping. My local thrift store had a really gorgeous bouclé jacket in the window, and I only went in to confirm that it was not my size, since jackets and coats in smaller sizes are rare in that store. It turned out to be a Sand jacket, my exact size and I got it for 2% of the retail price. Score :wink: Even though it is not black it pretty much fills the same gap that a black bouclé (which I have had on my wishlist) would have, while being more dressy - I have been wearing it a lot with my black full skirt, black sweater and my buckle boots. It is just very classic and chic yet still somewhat contemporary even though it is a couple of years old at least. Not the best picture, it has a metallic thread in the weave, that looks really nice. I have recieved lots of compliments on it. I think it is probably my best thrift store find ever, and I have had quite a few. When I was in Jutland a few weeks ago I also thrifted a couple of party dresses; a white flapper-ish fringe dress and a Baum und Pferdgarten sequin dress. The first one I bought because I was supposed to go to a great Gatsby party, but I think I will wear it for regular parties as well - would probably look good with my sequin kimono.

Still no real gaps to fill - I am keeping my eyes open if the right coat come along, but truth be told I am quite happy with my down jacket ATM and it works fine for most outfits. I also have a few items that I waiting to see wether makes the sales. I would really like a pair of over knee boots though. I don't need boots but at the same time I wear boots pretty much all year round and I think they would be a nice addition.

In general I am still very happy with wardrobe though, and I feel like I am always discovering something "new". - this fall I for example, I have been eyeing all of the mock-turtle lace blouses, which can be a really nice detail under a sweater - only to remember, that I actually have a bra, boughjt 5 years ago, with a lace collar attached to the straps, that adds just the same feel. I love being able to shop my own wardrobe like that.

Pic via trendsales.dk

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3
Congrats on the jacket! You really can't beat 2% of retail :wink:

It really is bad behavior ... but it could also be the bad behavior of someone who bought & returned it that way ... and also the bad behavior of the site, for not catching & fixing it themselves. No doubt appropriate wardrobe karma is coming their way!

betina, do you mind my asking what your budget for the coat is? Maybe you can estimate in dollars for me so I can understand? :wink:

The wear to the sweater is on the insides of the sleeves, where I believe it's difficult to see. It's also black, which hides a multitude of sins. I have to hold it up to the light to see the spots where it's worn thin. In any case, I have already bagged it up ... it is as good as gone. I've definitely had it for more than 10 years, probably 15 or more. I got it at a department store I've been boycotting for quite awhile.

My other heavy cotton sweater that I like for how warm & comfortable it is, & had the tailor put ribbon on the cuffs where it was frayed, I wore yesterday. I was sitting in the bookstore last night looking at a magazine while waiting for the traffic to die down, and this guy says to me, That must be a new sweater. I told him no, it was actually quite an old sweater, and he said, Well, it looks brand new. I bought it in the 90s & it's handknit ... the kind of thing you just don't see anymore. Private label from a store that is gone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->