The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the jacket! You really can't beat 2% of retail :wink:

It really is bad behavior ... but it could also be the bad behavior of someone who bought & returned it that way ... and also the bad behavior of the site, for not catching & fixing it themselves. No doubt appropriate wardrobe karma is coming their way!

betina, do you mind my asking what your budget for the coat is? Maybe you can estimate in dollars for me so I can understand? :wink:

The wear to the sweater is on the insides of the sleeves, where I believe it's difficult to see. It's also black, which hides a multitude of sins. I have to hold it up to the light to see the spots where it's worn thin. In any case, I have already bagged it up ... it is as good as gone. I've definitely had it for more than 10 years, probably 15 or more. I got it at a department store I've been boycotting for quite awhile.

My other heavy cotton sweater that I like for how warm & comfortable it is, & had the tailor put ribbon on the cuffs where it was frayed, I wore yesterday. I was sitting in the bookstore last night looking at a magazine while waiting for the traffic to die down, and this guy says to me, That must be a new sweater. I told him no, it was actually quite an old sweater, and he said, Well, it looks brand new. I bought it in the 90s & it's handknit ... the kind of thing you just don't see anymore. Private label from a store that is gone ...

Well, you are perfectly right! I just love when things like that happen - and to make it even more fun, it was hanging next to an H&M dress in store, which was marked at twice the price :lol:

You are perfectly right - but it is still plan annoying and part of the reason why I loathe 2nd hand shopping on the internet. I am glad to see that you are branching out, despite the reason :flower:

Truth be told, I haven't thought about how much I would want to spend, since it is not anything I am searching for actively. Nothing very expensive though - I have really been cutting down on my spendings on clothes (if you don't include my bag purchase earlier this year, at least) :wink:

Well, you are perfectly right! I just love when things like that happen - and to make it even more fun, it was hanging next to an H&M dress in store, which was marked at twice the price :lol:

You are perfectly right - but it is still plan annoying and part of the reason why I loathe 2nd hand shopping on the internet. I am glad to see that you are branching out, despite the reason :flower:

Truth be told, I haven't thought about how much I would want to spend, since it is not anything I am searching for actively. Nothing very expensive though - I have really been cutting down on my spendings on clothes (if you don't include my bag purchase earlier this year, at least) :wink:

Well, I'm not sure I'm glad I'm branching out :lol: I took the dress by the cleaners today ... she turned it inside out & showed me that the stains are partially on the other side as well. It looks like they lifted color when they were trying to get the stains out, so the damage is permanent. They recommended sending it back, which I'm going to do. I'm also asking for a $50 credit--not sure I'll get it, but I deserve it! Shipping both ways and a special trip to the cleaners, for an item that should never have been sold, and is certainly not in 'very good' condition. And it's also too bad, because I was looking forward to wearing the dress, which would have been very versatile.

Well, I'm not sure I'm glad I'm branching out :lol: I took the dress by the cleaners today ... she turned it inside out & showed me that the stains are partially on the other side as well. It looks like they lifted color when they were trying to get the stains out, so the damage is permanent. They recommended sending it back, which I'm going to do. I'm also asking for a $50 credit--not sure I'll get it, but I deserve it! Shipping both ways and a special trip to the cleaners, for an item that should never have been sold, and is certainly not in 'very good' condition. And it's also too bad, because I was looking forward to wearing the dress, which would have been very versatile.

woahhhhhhhh.... sad to hear that. but it's foolish of them trying to lift deo stain by something so strong tht the color was affecetd! and so thoughtless to still putting it on sale!
hope you get the store credit, you deserve it!

Agreed ... they clearly weren't going to a very good cleaners. There's no point in spending money on clothes if you're then going to take them to a cleaners that doesn't know what they're doing ... the only time my cleaners ever did that, they paid me for the item.

It seems like I've been unconsciously living with a 4-5 piece wardrobe/capsule wardrobe mentality lately, which means I only have one pair of flat sandals and now they need replacing! They've done me well and I've received a lot of compliments on them, but it's time for a new pair. I have quite narrow feet, so I find styles with a banded strap across the top of my foot to be more flattering. Here are my current options...
source: novo.com.au / wittner.com.au

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 10.32.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 10.32.18 AM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 10.33.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 10.33.25 AM.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
1-2 piece wardrobe?

I have fallen in love with white curly lamb jacket:heart: It is crazy expensive (for me), but it is not as expensive as most furs and it is SO flattering! It was insane. I didn't want to leave the store! This very rarely happens to me anymore. I haven't found anything like this for ages. It also works with all my grey and black clothes. It is the permanent/classic collection, so it is unlikely to go on sale. The lady in the shop said it didn't in their shop at least.

I couldn't wear it when going to school (because who wears a white fur when doing that?), but I live in the city centre so I am sure I'd still get lots of wear out of it. I hardly go to school anyway. And I could wear it when I dress up, go to London, travel (because I am one of those who dress up for that). I would wear it when going to the shop to buy milk, no doubt:lol: And with ballet flats! Because I do stuff like that:cool:

I was thinking that if I only stock up on less expensive basics when I run out for a while, then I wouldn't actually be spending more money than usually...

I am still thinking about it though. It is a lot of money for me... Maybe a 1-2 pps would work better for me if I buy it:lol:

ravnravn.com

Attachments

• ravn_produkt22505_2048x2048.jpg
    ravn_produkt22505_2048x2048.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Also for me the second sandals!

It's a very special piece indeed eizhowa. I can totally imagine Kate M wearing it and therefore you. :cool2: Difficult indeed. I normally would wait for a couple of days or longer, just to see if I still like it that much and try it on again. Another thing I sometimes do is to put the item on my sale list and just wait and see if you got the nerves (for online sale maybe). It's all about your gut feeling and can you wear it often enough, dressing it up and down. The fur will last your whole life and imo a versatile piece for different combinations. I really like it. :flower:

Thank you for your input, Nymphaea! I really do love it. I will go try it on again on Monday:smile: I can't wait! They do have it online a few places (and maybe they might have it on sale), but I will be gutted if I have to wait until next winter to get it... It might actually be even more expensive then, because the Euro is getting more expensive.

I do like the idea of bein able to wear it for years:heart:

And I love fur and Chanel bags etc on young people like myself, so I won't hesitate to wear it tons right away. It is a sort of deliciously indecent to wear such expensive items when so young:mrgreen:

^ I looked up in currency converter and it is more expensive than my wedding dress. :lol: I agree with Nymphaea though, I would try it on a couple more times and let the idea of actually owning it sink in. Is it very sensitive for stains etc.?

Speaking of the wedding dress, I finally received it today! :woot: It is extremely beautiful of course, but I am not satisfied with the fit - the bodice is too big for my frame even though I didn't lose any weight, so it has to be altered. I know a good tailor and she should be able to fix this for me, but I was really hoping that the dress would fit me perfectly, since it was custom made and therefore more expensive. The main problem is underbust and bust area (it is strapless after all, these are such a pain in the as* fit-wise :rolleyes:), without wearing the blouse with it it could easily fall off when dancing.
I was told from their CS that they had added the smallest bit of room to given measurements to ensure that the fit is not too tight as that would be worst case scenario. Even when dresses are made to order, they still may require minor alterations to perfect the fit - this is the case with almost all design houses.
Anyway, my best friend aka maid of honour and my mother comforted me that this won't be a problem for the tailor and I think I'm fine now. :Pink: I already packed it up in a nice dust bag with a note "touch it and I'll kill you" note on.

Just kidding about the latter. :lol:

Btw, I hated the packaging. :ninja: So Asos-like, very basic - just a cheap plastic hanger and transparent polyvinyl dust bag, all packed in a regular box . They should act up on it definitely, it makes a huge difference IMO.

Both of you are cracking me up ... "I hardly go to school anyway" and "Touch it and I'll kill you!" :rofl:

I think fur makes much more sense in an actual cold climate (like yours) than it does here ... presumably you'd be able to wear it most of the year. It is pretty. I have found my ivory faux fur to be very versatile, with everything from jeans to a dress for going out. You really love it, so ...

How much are you actually wearing out/needing to replace in a year?

Since I am stocking up on Lanvin right now, my plan is only to buy what I really, really need for maybe the next couple years--like if I wear out two pairs of pants, or a white T, black sweater, things like that, I would need to replace it.

Jinadaze, since so many brides end up gaining weight, it seems like they did the right thing ... a dress can be taken in, but much more difficult to let it out. Hopefully no one will have to die :wink:

I went to Nordstrom for my 10 points day today ... bought some makeup and a new winter robe, which I pinned. Retiring the old one to my rag pile (where apparently Kanye gets his inspiration--don't be surprised to see lavender robes in his next collection :rofl:).

:lol: playing hooky, are we, eizhowa?

I say, if you think you'll get your money out of how much you wear it, do it! It looks lovely and classic. If I wasn't so accident prone and hazardous myself, I would go for a white coat too... I think white coats look so good with dramatic lipsticks :ninja:

I really want to start wearing make up again...

Barberaa: It is not hooky if you don't have to be there!:wink:

Fashionista: I think the coat would be very versatile indeed:smile: I have worn out my jeans and some of the jumpers I bought last year are wearing out, so I'll definitly need 1-2 jeans and 2-3 wool jumpers. And one pair of boots for winter (but chances are I won't find any I like). I have a very small wardrobe of tops and bottoms, so I wear out this part very quicly. But it is still better than stocking up and then having to give them away because I went up/down a size.

Jinadaze: I don't see why you can't really have a note like that on it:angel: The coat is less expensive in the shop than anywhere online, fortunately.

I will definitly go try the coat again this week and double check that it is as flattering as I was remember:smile: I don't think it is prone to staining.

^ Because what's the point of having a wedding dress if I had to kill my fiancé for touching it. :lol:

It was the same for me in the last 2 years of Uni, I didn't have to be there, so I wasn't. :Pink:

^ Because what's the point of having a wedding dress if I had to kill my fiancé for touching it. :lol:

It was the same for me in the last 2 years of Uni, I didn't have to be there, so I wasn't. :Pink:

Clever stuff like that, thats why I am still unmarried!:lol:

@Ta-ta: I get why branching out seems bad ATM :lol: I really hope you get a descent refund and that they pay the shipping back and forth - that seems the least they could do. I really aggree that when buying quality items you should find good professionals to take care of your things; cleaners, coblers etc. No use buying good leather shoes if you don't get them resoled when neccesary.

@Belowen: I aggree with the others - the second pair of sandals are gorgeous.

@Eizhowa: I don't think there is anything wrong with splurging on something you are really going to love, but I would be so afraid to spill something on a white fur :lol: Also, if you can keep the rest of your purchases on a minimum it seems like a perfect solution, but I am personally so bad at dealing with splurging that way around - I am better at saving up the money, but maybe that is just me :lol: (and it will mean putting of the purchase until next winter and I get why you would not want to do that).

@Jina: so exciting with your dress! Shame it does not fit, but I am sure a good tailor will be able to make it fit like a glove :flower: I get why you wanted it to fit, especially now that you had a custom made size, but at the same time I find it a bit stressful having to make sure not to gain weight before the wedding, sinc my dress are really snug :lol: are you keeping it at home - maybe a note is wise then :wink:

I really get what you are saying regarding the packaging. When paying for a custom made dress, you should get better than that. Mine was in a garnment bag - which is really handy ATM since I am storing mine at our own home, and I don't want my hubby to be to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->