The 4-5 Piece French Wardrobe #10

The weather just got cold here last night as a storm came through, so finally got a chance to wear the cashmere sweater I got on sale back in May or so. Love the color :heart: Will plan to do a recap of the year's purchases soon ...

We've been having rainy in between weather for weeks, I feel like I'm always dressing either too warm or too cold. Can't wait until the fall/winter fully sets in. The thin sweaters I got really prove to be key pieces in my wardrobe right now.

^ I am back in short sleeves today, but was thrilled to get a chance to both wear my cashmere sweater and build a fire in my newly revamped fireplace! :wub:

It's very satisfying to experience your wardrobe really working, isn't it?

I kinda feel like we went straight from Summer to pure Fall, without the annoying "dressing either to hot or too cold" period @Fewormany is describing. I still haven't gotten used to wearing stockings again though. And speaking of, can anyone recommend stockings (pantyhose), that actually lasts more than a few weeks? Wearing dresses and skirts pretty much daily I could really use something more durable.

Not a lot of shopping on my end. I did order a necklace as a graduation gift, which I should be able to pick up this week. Will have to return my last purchase, the red dress, since it has already started pilling. Kinda fed up with bad qualities ATM.

^ I stopped wearing pantyhose awhile ago and now wear only tights (bare legs when it's warmer). I like DKNY a lot, but not sure if you can get this where you are?

I have seen a sweater 'rake' and contemplating getting one ... I need something.

I am trying to play with a new silhouette that is layering my short shirtdresses with skinny pants. If I like this combination, this could open up new styling possibilities...

^ I stopped wearing pantyhose awhile ago and now wear only tights (bare legs when it's warmer). I like DKNY a lot, but not sure if you can get this where you are?

I have seen a sweater 'rake' and contemplating getting one ... I need something.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't think those are available in DK. I am considering trying Wolford.

@floodette: I am loving that silhouette as well. Very practical in my climate too :wink:

I was able to return the red dress with a full refund. Normally I wouldn't opt for giving it another go, but I really loved the shape and the colour and haven't been able to find anything similar, so I just ordered it from another webshop and hope the pilling will be a one time thing.

^ You are an optimist :wink: If this one doesn't pill, I will straight up admit that you are the luckiest girl in the world :lol:

I saw someone post elsewhere that their best cashmere pills. Mine too ... I think pilling is a function not necessarily of quality per se, but ... I can't quantify it in words, but I can look at a sweater and have an idea about whether it will pill or not. I used to buy only cotton knits, and that's one nice thing about cotton, it's very pill-resistant.

I tried some Wolford knee-his and liked them pretty well. Very soft and luxurious ... not sure how tough? The elasticized tops were gentle and didn't leave dents in my legs.

Betina: I like Wolford, I've had their merino tights & their cotton tights and they both lasted me a couple seasons, the cotton ones wore very well especially. I've also had good experiences with Falke cotton tights.

I received a Stitch Fix today that I scheduled some time ago, and am keeping one item ... a pair of burgundy cords. Last year I got a great deal on a cashmere sweater from Yoox before Black Friday, so I don't want to rule out shopping for the rest of the year just yet. I may also see about getting some white Ts. But after that I plan to not shop for 3 months ...

stitchfix

Prosperity cords.jpg

I like that pinkish burgundy!
I'm also planning/in a no shopping couple of months. Keeping a slightly open mind, like you, though -- got my eye on some items that might be too good to pass up if they make it to the sales.
Currently in the middle of finally putting away my summer things and getting out my winter knitwear. Found back a couple items I forgot about! Horrible and exciting :smile:

I'm really enjoying the cool weather :smile: I need to do my review of this year's items now that I've gotten a chance to wear the cashmere sweater I bought last spring at an irresistible price! I really love the color ... it's coral but cool. I bought a new lipstick to go with it (actually it was free--back 2 MAC).

My 2019 items were

• Birkenstock Mayari sandals in pearl white--love these and have worn them a lot. Perfect for errands and casual outings. And they go with everything.
  • Brunello Cucinelli slate blue cashmere sweater with metal trim detail--ditto. This was a great deal from Yoox and a beautiful, interesting design. Even though this is outside my color wheelhouse, I like it and it works. I have plenty of neutrals to wear it with, good with grey or black.
  • (Wildfox mauve sweatshirt, activewear)--super comfortable and washable, worn a lot, pretty color
  • MM6 black handkerchief hem tank--I like this, but it's a layering piece ... haven't worn much. I bought it for a specific purpose (layering under cropped Nike sweatshirt) that it does serve. It's fairly heavy, so isn't appropriate for hot weather.
  • Eileen Fisher teal T shirt dress, organic cotton--This has a high/low hem that I don't really like, and the neckline doesn't lay quite right. I'm wearing it, but not a lot
  • High denim jacket--bought this right as the weather was turning, have worn a little
  • Brunello Cucinelli purple sequin sweater--Love this, great color, wore it a lot. Unfortunately it's fragile--the sequins snag easily. I paid full price for this one and I'm glad I did. But I wish it weren't so prone to damage (I have the cleaners fix the snags, but you can usually still see where it happened).
  • Brunello Cucinelli coral melange cashmere sweater--Fits just as expected, cashmere and color are beautiful. Great complex color.
  • Eileen Fisher peacock blue organic/linen cotton sweater. Another beautiful color, very comfortable in the heat, nice shape. The knit runs horizontally on this.
  • Cosmic Blue Love yellow pants. These are super comfortable but they're a little loose and don't look great with shorter tops. Good for casual wear.
  • Wearables black crop pants--These have a tendency to pick up lint. Flattering. Due to WFH, have limited opportunity for wearing pants though. (I have a separate collection of sweatpants and joggers for wearing at home.)
  • Ganni leopard dress--Like this and wore it a lot. Very comfortable and pretty good in the heat.
  • Joe's black coated jeans--Love these and have worn them a lot as well--very comfortable and flattering.
Overall, I would say a lot of good buys here. I notice everything from Brunello Cucinelli I've very happy with, and I'm happy with a lot of the bold colors.

I can see that I bought more pants than I strictly needed because Stitch Fix sent them and they worked. (I just requested a new stylist because my current one has never yet sent me a top that worked, and cannot stop sending me polyester :sick:) On the other hand, my jeans collection is better now than it has ever been in my life, quite literally. This time I said max one pair of pants, and kept those but nothing else. Maybe next time it needs to be none ... I think I probably also need to do some shopping for myself for items that the services (incl Trunk Club) can't seem to get right, like the basic white and black tops I need right now.

I bought the rose gold foil cropped Nike sweatshirt because I wanted to support the company (Colin Kaepernick), but I probably should've held out for a better item. That sweatshirt led me to needing to buy a layering piece ... really not a path I should have gone down.

The denim jacket is something that I perhaps should have bitten the bullet and returned, even though I absolutely love the design and detail ... it has limited usefulness.

The EF dress I may have been a bit fast to pull the trigger on. Its resemblance to other items I've owned in the past probably weighed too much in its favor. Do you know what I mean? Something reminds you of something that was right, and so you think it is too.

You can see that it really all comes down to making good decisions--being tough and holding out for what you really want! However, these items that aren't perfect are still wearable and still function in my wardrobe ... just not as perfectly as I would like. They are not MVPs.

Anyone else want to review your buys for the year? :magic:

I like that pinkish burgundy!
I'm also planning/in a no shopping couple of months. Keeping a slightly open mind, like you, though -- got my eye on some items that might be too good to pass up if they make it to the sales.
Currently in the middle of finally putting away my summer things and getting out my winter knitwear. Found back a couple items I forgot about! Horrible and exciting :smile:

What did you find that you'd forgotten?

@fashionista-ta: Nice cords!

I actually found an alternative (colourwise, at least), which is oeko-tex certified as well, trying to remember looking into brands working with sustainability, when shopping.

Would still like a dress in a similar cut, but I cannot find one with the right fabric and colour combination.

I don't mind pilling on knitwear as much as it is easy removable with a good result. That's not the case with a viscose fabric, and either way I think it should be possible to wash something more than once without it starting to pill.

I'll hold of my annual review until the end of the year :smile:

@twistelette: so nice shopping your own closet :flower:

_______

I have had a few months with no purchases, but just ordered a few things. I have spent time clearing out some items. Our current apartment is small and with no built on storage, attic or basement space, so that really helps staying mindful of what we buy, also in terms of clothes. Currently all of my wardrobe fits on a 2 m. clothing rod, two drawers and four bedrollers (3 with out of season storage and one with items to sell).

My next purchase will probably be a pair of stockings from swedish stockings, which supposedly should be very durable as well as sustainble (made from recyled and sustainable materials)

Pic via danefae.dk

I actually found an alternative (colourwise, at least), which is oeko-tex certified as well, trying to remember looking into brands working with sustainability, when shopping.

Would still like a dress in a similar cut, but I cannot find one with the right fabric and colour combination.

I don't mind pilling on knitwear as much as it is easy removable with a good result. That's not the case with a viscose fabric, and either way I think it should be possible to wash something more than once without it starting to pill.

_______

I have had a few months with no purchases, but just ordered a few things. I have spent time clearing out some items. Our current apartment is small and with no built on storage, attic or basement space, so that really helps staying mindful of what we buy, also in terms of clothes. Currently all of my wardrobe fits on a 2 m. clothing rod, two drawers and four bedrollers (3 with out of season storage and one with items to sell).

Pic via danefae.dk

What did you find that you'd forgotten?

Having issues attaching pictures, deleting and editing posts ATM. Will come back later :smile:

_______

My next purchase will probably be a pair of stockings from swedish stockings, which supposedly should be very durable as well as sustainble (made from recyled and sustainable materials)

Pic via danefae.dk

betina (and twistelette), thank you.

Didn't realize your pilling item wasn't knit :cry: That is really strange!

How exciting--sustainable tights! Can't wait to hear how you like them. I wonder if I can get my hands on them without actually going to Sweden :lol: I haven't seen anything like that here.

I agree, it's nice to have limited space. I do have a couple of closets I use for storing stuff rather than clothes ... like my vacuum is in one, and paint cans in the other. But I have no large, walk-in closet like I had in my last apartment. The skinnier hangers help :wink: Oddly, I tried organizing it more (with sweaters, jackets, lighter tops, T-shirts, and dresses each together), and I didn't really like it. So it's drifting back toward disorganization, with just two categories--tops/jackets/dresses, and bottoms.

betina (and twistelette), thank you.

Didn't realize your pilling item wasn't knit :cry: That is really strange!

How exciting--sustainable tights! Can't wait to hear how you like them. I wonder if I can get my hands on them without actually going to Sweden :lol: I haven't seen anything like that here.

I agree, it's nice to have limited space. I do have a couple of closets I use for storing stuff rather than clothes ... like my vacuum is in one, and paint cans in the other. But I have no large, walk-in closet like I had in my last apartment. The skinnier hangers help :wink: Oddly, I tried organizing it more (with sweaters, jackets, lighter tops, T-shirts, and dresses each together), and I didn't really like it. So it's drifting back toward disorganization, with just two categories--tops/jackets/dresses, and bottoms.

I think they ship worldwide- not sure :smile:

I used to have an open wardrobe (a clothing rack and two drawers in a dresser for underwear, socks, basic tops etc.), but since we are now two people in a small apartment and we both have quite a lot of options, that's just not an option anymore - it takes up to much space compared to how much it stores. We share a large closet, and as mentioned before I have a clothing rack (stores dresses, pants, skirts, blouses etc.), two drawers for underwear + socks + loungewear and a shelf for knitwear.

I did think that the lack of built in storage would be an issue in terms of storing things like the vacuum, etc., but we've found alternative ways of getting it out of the way :lol:
regina.jpg

Also, pardon my double posts (?), the board was really buggy for me yesterday. Trying to attach the picture again (fingers crossed). Pic via danefae.dk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frikandel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->