Trends You Are Sick Of...

Pet hates -

1. Millions of new 'instagram brands' appearing on social media everyday.
2. Old tacky reversible clothing with designs that go out of fashion as soon as they hit the high street with gimmic'y logos.

I actually came across a brand called FLiP on instagram recently... @_flip_2022
I think the whole reversible clothing design has been tried several times before but are always overcomplicated and have such uncool styling.

This brand seems to keep things simple with 2in1 designs using neutral colours, unisex sizes fitted for men and oversized for women, with no stitching clashes or clashing colours. Could be a way to simplify your wardrobe, not worry about stains when eating or on a night out, may also cut down on washing and ironing? May also be a great idea for kids when out and about and on the move - my two little ones are always getting grubby on play dates.

May finally be a cool and simple reversible brand that makes a space for itself in an ever growing clothing market. What do you think guys? Another uncool 'insta brand' or a useful breakthrough brand for 2023?

Ciao,
D

Pet hates -

1. Millions of new 'instagram brands' appearing on social media everyday.
2. Old tacky reversible clothing with designs that go out of fashion as soon as they hit the high street with gimmic'y logos.

I actually came across a brand called FLiP on instagram recently... @_flip_2022
I think the whole reversible clothing design has been tried several times before but are always overcomplicated and have such uncool styling.

This brand seems to keep things simple with 2in1 designs using neutral colours, unisex sizes fitted for men and oversized for women, with no stitching clashes or clashing colours. Could be a way to simplify your wardrobe, not worry about stains when eating or on a night out, may also cut down on washing and ironing? May also be a great idea for kids when out and about and on the move - my two little ones are always getting grubby on play dates.

May finally be a cool and simple reversible brand that makes a space for itself in an ever growing clothing market. What do you think guys? Another uncool 'insta brand' or a useful breakthrough brand for 2023?

Ciao,
D

big visible logos are just tacky. they always were and they always will be.
thank god the logomania of the last years are coming to an end next winter...
hopefully!!!!

Hearing those talk about their "signature special pieces" that are so unique and personal, when they just copped it from Zara or something... No shame if you like it and it can work in your wardrobe in multiple ways, but millions of others have it too so lets chill out.

Overly expensive thrift shop hauls. Thrifting for me is still finding an amazing jacket for $20 by chance. Not this "I found this vintage Gucci in a shop in an affluent neighbourhood and it was only $200 I just had to" then telling everyone there's no excuses for not being able to find good second hand clothes. Some even go on wait lists for second hand goods, like wtf guys. These are also the kind of people that cause markups to happen in neighbourhoods limiting the access of those that live off thrifted clothes.

And honestly, this is going to sound corny as hell, but trends in general. They're being churned through so fast now it's a complete whiplash of what is going on. Individuality has never felt so tormented and controlled before it's pretty disgusting.

The only people that thrift that I know (not many) are some of the most materialistic people ive ever met. more materialist than the people I knwo that wear straight up head to toe designer.

they buy the ugliest crap (hence why its in the thrift store) because it has GUCCI on it - they just want designer without having to pay for it. The new eBay of the 00's really.

That concept of Quiet luxury that doesn’t mean anything. A lot of rich people cannot dress so to rely on expensive stuff, even in great quality is a way to validate their style…

No matter how great Brunello Cucinelli is, Mark Zuckerberg is not a style icon because he wears that.

‘The other trend I hate is that « speculative luxury » thing going on.
A lot of people unfortunately feels the need to buy thing for the monetary value instead of their personal taste. I don’t like the Birkin and the Kelly but I get the fact that people likes how they looks. I don’t get the idea of buying a bag because it’s expensive and it will increase in value. It kills personal style…

I always find ridiculous to go to black tie events with women carrying Birkin and Kelly just to impress other women around…
Considering that none of them are Françoise Bettancourt, nobody cares to know who is the wealthiest in the room…

^^^ If women carrying status bags at events leaves a bad taste in your mouth Lola, then the gheyz carrying women’s status bags has me upchucking violently. ...Worse are the gheyz that have to not just possess the most expensive status bags— but ones that must have the it footwear/jacket/brand of the Season to accessorize with their Birkin. ...And just when you think it couldn’t get any worse, any tackier, any more desperate— along comes the middle-age gheyz with the Birkin and the it footwear/jacket/brand of the moment LOL And somehow they’re considered “stylish”… LOL...weeps.

I seriously fought over a spot to 'study' frozen fish with this lady and her Birkin bag a couple days ago at TJs. I could not care less for these ultra tacky 'fashion' pieces but because I see them for work-related reasons here and there and KNOW there are way better and not even wildly expensive versions, the poor state of her bag in contrast with her impeccable dress+hair+makeup just got me thinking. These items [a Birkin, a Rolex or any other over-the-top items that spells out m-o-n-e-y] end up being like an emotional support dog for some people, and only deepening an insecurity you could potentially face and defeat if you didn't rely on this mega status object to get you through society with assertiveness.

This, a Rolex, and frankly, a Basquiat or a Warhol are my absolute worst pet peeves of... tasteless shit you can buy. I would never judge if you're buying it to let it gain value in some storage facility far away from you [I'm probably worst :tearsofjoy:] but to display it?! hell no.

In other trends I'm sick of:
Weirdcore. It's been years, give it a fcking break, you're not 'weird', you're in an odd limbo right beneath the ordinary and conventional because at least these people know it and own it.
Adidas' Sambas. I'm particularly grated at this because I've had mine (Spezial) for nearly 5 years and still love to wear them but since last summer, I just look like the worst fashion victim! the lowest point was being in the same train car with other FIVE women in them.. :hole:.. there's just no way back now..

Most of those mainstream status symbols at this point are just big neon signs that say "I have low self esteem!" or "I have little self worth!". A bit embarrassing to wear in public. Caring about status isn't necessarily bad per se [altho my ultra galaxy brain goal is to be net neutral with a true self-indifference (never gonna happen)]; everyone cares about status in one form or another when dressing up. I will literally be that "they don't know" party meme all day long. But I think the most common "luxury" status symbols these days make me sad because the status they try to emanate reflects from a globohomo culture of a lonely online presence. Nobody in real life really cares about your birkin. Nobody you think you're pretending to be would actually respect you for the beanie baby on your arm. The goalpost you're trying to score with moved a long time ago and you're just another loser pleb on instagram. It makes me so depressed seeing all of the handbag rental business that keep popping up rn. The fact that I know about them, too, makes me sad and is telling me that I need to put my Fing phone down. Oh boy for 400 dollars I might be able to trick myself into believing people think highly of me for a couple days! :partying::loudlycrying: I'm gonna go eat some easter candy to try and fill the void in my heart now.

Weirdcore. It's been years, give it a fcking break, you're not 'weird', you're in an odd limbo right beneath the ordinary and conventional because at least these people know it and own it.
Every time I see someone dressed like this (which is unfortunately a lot, working at an arts based university), they always look so sweaty and humid. I film of oily dead skin cells all over their face and evident pit stains, some with their flicked eyeliner and crumbling lipstick because they run their mouth so much. It's either a very layered or over sized style where you can't really take the layers off like a jacket, and if you do the DoPe ~ v i b e z ~ are off UwU

^^^ If women carrying status bags at events leaves a bad taste in your mouth Lola, then the gheyz carrying women’s status bags has me upchucking violently. ...Worse are the gheyz that have to not just possess the most expensive status bags— but ones that must have the it footwear/jacket/brand of the Season to accessorize with their Birkin. ...And just when you think it couldn’t get any worse, any tackier, any more desperate— along comes the middle-age gheyz with the Birkin and the it footwear/jacket/brand of the moment LOL And somehow they’re considered “stylish”… LOL...weeps.
Ahahaha! I totally picture what you are talking about because I’ve seen it and I even have some acquaintances who fits this description. It’s the fantasy of « being rich »… I remember one time, one man asked me if I had a Birkin or a Kelly. I saw the deception in his face when I answered no, and the horror on his face when I said that i find them boring and I that I owned a Paris Bombay and a Victoria instead…

My issue with the kind of « speculative fashion » is that it never looks like it’s rooted in personal style or taste.

In a way, I can’t be hypocrite when it comes to « mainstream status symbols » as @susseinmcswanny said: I have Chanel bags and Jackets. And as much as I think that all the designers’s pieces I own are rooted in personal style and my appreciation for some designers, the speculative nature of some accessories has made me change the way I carry some. I’m extremely uncomfortable carrying a classic Chanel bag today because it costs 10K retail. When I have a 2.55, it’s totally unnoticeable and I love that.

But with the word « luxury » replacing the word fashion since the mid 00’s, it was a matter of time before people would want to look or appear rich instead of stylish. And social media increased that.
We all had that fantasy of a « Prada man/woman » before but today unfortunately that person’s style consist of spotting the numbers of triangles in their looks.

That concept of Quiet luxury that doesn’t mean anything. A lot of rich people cannot dress so to rely on expensive stuff, even in great quality is a way to validate their style…

No matter how great Brunello Cucinelli is, Mark Zuckerberg is not a style icon because he wears that.

‘The other trend I hate is that « speculative luxury » thing going on.
A lot of people unfortunately feels the need to buy thing for the monetary value instead of their personal taste. I don’t like the Birkin and the Kelly but I get the fact that people likes how they looks. I don’t get the idea of buying a bag because it’s expensive and it will increase in value. It kills personal style…

I always find ridiculous to go to black tie events with women carrying Birkin and Kelly just to impress other women around…
Considering that none of them are Françoise Bettancourt, nobody cares to know who is the wealthiest in the room…

I was telling someone the other day that "quiet luxury" isn't a look, it's a tax bracket.

Most of those mainstream status symbols at this point are just big neon signs that say "I have low self esteem!" or "I have little self worth!". A bit embarrassing to wear in public. Caring about status isn't necessarily bad per se [altho my ultra galaxy brain goal is to be net neutral with a true self-indifference (never gonna happen)]; everyone cares about status in one form or another when dressing up. I will literally be that "they don't know" party meme all day long. But I think the most common "luxury" status symbols these days make me sad because the status they try to emanate reflects from a globohomo culture of a lonely online presence. Nobody in real life really cares about your birkin. Nobody you think you're pretending to be would actually respect you for the beanie baby on your arm. The goalpost you're trying to score with moved a long time ago and you're just another loser pleb on instagram. It makes me so depressed seeing all of the handbag rental business that keep popping up rn. The fact that I know about them, too, makes me sad and is telling me that I need to put my Fing phone down. Oh boy for 400 dollars I might be able to trick myself into believing people think highly of me for a couple days! :partying::loudlycrying: I'm gonna go eat some easter candy to try and fill the void in my heart now.

LOL fantastic imagery: A Birkin full of nothing but discounted day-after cheap Easter candy from Walgreens! (...Must be Trisha Paytas'...)

Fashion addicts are all insecure/elitist/discriminatory/self-conscious/needy/judgemental etc etc to some/various extends: I’ve accepted this about myself and I’m not a (hopelessly) horrible person— nor a better person, for it. To non-fashion believers, my obsessive hunt for that ideal/grail bag and coat is no different than someone who’s main goal in life is to own a Birkin and coddle it like a child, to be photographed with it at every outing. And sadly even not that different than that unfortunate soul who needs to rent one for a few days (… to “live the dream”… what a sad dream, frankly LOL) We’re all the same to non-fashion addicts:shrugs:

Someone who’s a tad obsessed with owning some piece of status isn’t defined by that piece of status solely, of course. At least I hope not. And I’m sure someone, somewhere is going to accuse me of being a self-hating homo by not blindly subscribing nor endorsing an awfully embarrassing stereotype of gheyz LOL By all means you do you, but doesn’t mean I have to like it. It’s also very telling how some’s priorities are when they treat a bag probably much better than they would people they come across on a daily basis. The woman fighting with Mullet for a seat for her bag is that prime example of people treating a piece of overpriced status symbol more importantly than an actual human standing next to her. I remember watching this video of a seemingly charming gentleman documenting his purchase of a men’s Birkin; He was so happy to have booked an appointment for the purchase— yet still was self-aware enough, frustrated enough on how stupid it was that had so much trouble booking an appointment, just to purchase a bag: He seemed like a decent man… Frankly, I never cared for the fashion “experience” of such things, because— of course the SA are going o be at their very phoney best since you’re there to purchase their most overpriced merch… (Now, how they welcome me when I walk in unassumingly wearing just a white tee and chino with no expectations of buying anything is how I’d like to “experience” their atmosphere.)

^^^True. And logo/monograms merch isn't going away either. However, this ugliness is amplified to the max in this age more so than ever before, fuelled by the SM world. It’s hilarious, frightening and tragic how the reign of SM culture really has enforced shallowness/superficiality/status-seeking like never before. And the fashion industry just gladly feeds into that void more than they ever did. (If Christy Turlington was somewhat self-conscious, embarrassed to be known as a Super of the fashion world back in the 90s, she must be horrified by what that world's become now: No wonder she hardly shows her face anymore.)

^^^True. And logo/monograms merch isn't going away either. However, this ugliness is amplified to the max in this age more so than ever before, fuelled by the SM world. It’s hilarious, frightening and tragic how the reign of SM culture really has enforced shallowness/superficiality/status-seeking like never before. And the fashion industry just gladly feeds into that void more than they ever did. (If Christy Turlington was somewhat self-conscious, embarrassed to be known as a Super of the fashion world back in the 90s, she must be horrified by what that world's become now: No wonder she hardly shows her face anymore.)

I actually think SM is good for fashion.

Before, it was only really people who lived in metropolitan areas---who spent a lot of time walking on sidewalks and being out and about on the street---that cared so much about style and fashion.

But now people all over the world are more invested and conscious. Sure there are a lot of vapid and vulgar people over sharing but there are a lot of very chic and stylish people sharing too.

Fashion addicts are all insecure/elitist/discriminatory/self-conscious/needy/judgemental etc etc to some/various extends: I’ve accepted this about myself and I’m not a (hopelessly) horrible person— nor a better person, for it. To non-fashion believers, my obsessive hunt for that ideal/grail bag and coat is no different than someone who’s main goal in life is to own a Birkin and coddle it like a child, to be photographed with it at every outing. And sadly even not that different than that unfortunate soul who needs to rent one for a few days (… to “live the dream”… what a sad dream, frankly LOL) We’re all the same to non-fashion addicts:shrugs:
That is sad and also so true, same for what susseinmcswanny says.. it's not bad that we all care, we all have to care about status and its symbols, because we're in a system that requires that kind of participation, and while we have some freedom to manipulate the way we go about it, we're all pursuing the same (a spot in the pyramid/survival). It's self-regulation what is necessary, not that you can ever fully achieve it..

While status symbols exist in every culture, I really think the more contradictory, 'I'm so discreet but also publishing this' version of it is just more representative of the relatively brief era of fashion we're in right now, which is heavily attached to the role of social media that can be quite paradoxical, because questioning or expecting coherence is frowned upon and likes, becoming and being a brand yourself is the be all and end all. Graphic example (and Lola's pet peeve while at it)-:

quietluxury.jpg

'Quiet' but also, let's go to town with the bling lol, plus the sole act of listing + publishing it.. I don't know who this person is (disclaimer) but it's basically the type of denial that seems to reign right now and that IS a trend, maybe more of a social trend than a fashion trend but still..

Reactions: KoV
round glasses.

its such a red flag atp.

'Quiet' but also, let's go to town with the bling lol, plus the sole act of listing + publishing it.. I don't know who this person is (disclaimer) but it's basically the type of denial that seems to reign right now and that IS a trend, maybe more of a social trend than a fashion trend but still..

If I hear one more person describe their/a look as "old money" or "quiet luxury" I will lose my mind. That grotesque assortment oversized of hilariously oversized chains is definitely... a look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->