Trends You Are Sick Of...

Did anyone say Crocs? I rememeber the controversy when crocs opened across from chanel in soho ny. I was shocked bc i didnt even know what a croc was at the time. I just remember the shoes were lining the walls and it didnt fit soho - because that strip was burberry chanel hogan and j lindberg.

im still proud to say i hardly know what they are - and from what i do know - they look like prison issue shoes.

i saw a bunch of teens wearing them at the mall today. Its such a bad look to me.

being wealthy is all about If You Know You Know. Truly wealthy people can see through phonies easily. It really is a secret and nobody is gonna tell you.

Truly wealthy move in herds from quiet status symbol to quiet status symbol. They are fleeing from Teslas now back to their range rovers because the middle class is getting their teslas. It was never about actually being environmentallt conscious for the elites.

The people that really think teslas popularity was truly anout being environmentally conscious are just materialist consumers.

At the same mall today I saw a woman carrying a signature orange birkin. Looking totally broke IMO. Real wealth hasnt touched a birkin since the kardozians got on their “quiet luxury” tip. It screams “i bought this as an investment”.

if you know you know…nobody is gonna tell you how to be elite and exclusive. Then it wouldnt be elite and exclusive. Thats why Tiktok cant ever tell you how to be anything other than a consumee.

Last edited:
^^^ Anyone that has to post their 800.00 Carat Cartier x Jacquemus ring is not nor will ever be “old money”/“quiet luxury” etc etc Some American rag, probably GQ, had a feature where Virgil proudly spoke about having the taste of a 17yo hypebeast, with a list of his most “refined” cops— including of course, some Birkin. That’s the standard of SM of what “luxury” and “style” is defined by nowadays: A then 40yo man with the taste of a 17yo hypebeast.

I actually think SM is good for fashion.

Before, it was only really people who lived in metropolitan areas---who spent a lot of time walking on sidewalks and being out and about on the street---that cared so much about style and fashion.

But now people all over the world are more invested and conscious. Sure there are a lot of vapid and vulgar people over sharing but there are a lot of very chic and stylish people sharing too.

Cults bring people together successfully as well LOL

That the industry completely bows down to not just the most vapid of influencers only because they have amassed millions of sheep— thus millions of potential customers, but also bows to the masses with their herd mentality, rather than leading with experienced commercial and creative vision/ integrity is enough of a good reason to loathe SM. Case in point: The ridiculous Balenciaga nonsense that blew up in their face— with Demna and Kering begging for forgiveness from people that were never their customers, for something that was never there in the first place LOL Of course SM has its use, just that it’s overwhelmingly plagued with the most hollowest of the hollow and the lowest of common denominators that are the most popular now, thus unfortunately the most courted by and kowtowed to from corporations. Bringing people together is nice and all— in theory: like communism is also “nice”, in theory. Then the reality of how it’s been one horrifying tragedy against humanity after another, and it’s a firm no fcuking thank you. And fashion is in this weird contradictory, and hugely hypocritical era where the content is dictated by the tastes of the trendy communist— while the wasteful quantity and ridiculously high pricepoints churned out are that of the greediy greediest of capitalist.

That is sad and also so true, same for what susseinmcswanny says.. it's not bad that we all care, we all have to care about status and its symbols, because we're in a system that requires that kind of participation, and while we have some freedom to manipulate the way we go about it, we're all pursuing the same (a spot in the pyramid/survival). It's self-regulation what is necessary, not that you can ever fully achieve it..

While status symbols exist in every culture, I really think the more contradictory, 'I'm so discreet but also publishing this' version of it is just more representative of the relatively brief era of fashion we're in right now, which is heavily attached to the role of social media that can be quite paradoxical, because questioning or expecting coherence is frowned upon and likes, becoming and being a brand yourself is the be all and end all. Graphic example (and Lola's pet peeve while at it)-:

View attachment 1229426

'Quiet' but also, let's go to town with the bling lol, plus the sole act of listing + publishing it.. I don't know who this person is (disclaimer) but it's basically the type of denial that seems to reign right now and that IS a trend, maybe more of a social trend than a fashion trend but still..

LOL Someone that butchers filter apps to the point her face has the depth of a 2D vector illustration is not someone who can comprehend “quiet"… (…Yes, I can absolutely drag you when you’re publishing it out there for the whole world to judge you.)

You know, there are people that are convinced that they’re “tastemakers” (…God, that word now makes my skin crawl— along with “quiet luxury”, “lifestyle”…) just because they wear Margiela— that his signature 4 stitches on the label is “discreet”. It’s the same mentality as when I was 15yo and thinking I was so refined because the Prada label on my rags was black-on-black (what an idiot LMAO).

Did anyone say Crocs? I rememeber the controversy when crocs opened across from chanel in soho ny. I was shocked bc i didnt even know what a croc was at the time. I just remember the shoes were lining the walls and it didnt fit soho - because that strip was burberry chanel hogan and j lindberg.

im still proud to say i hardly know what they are - and from what i do know - they look like prison issue shoes.

i saw a bunch of teens wearing them at the mall today. Its such a bad look to me.

When are we going for drinks???? :tearsofjoy:

haha same

I wish someone would teach me how to climb to the apex of sartorial sophistication by actively avoiding the knowledge of the every day. It seems like a such disciplined practice I could only dream of mastering.

That is sad and also so true, same for what susseinmcswanny says...[.......................]
While status symbols exist in every culture, I really think the more contradictory, 'I'm so discreet but also publishing this' version of it is just more representative of the relatively brief era of fashion we're in right now, which is heavily attached to the role of social media that can be quite paradoxical, because questioning or expecting coherence is frowned upon and likes, becoming and being a brand yourself is the be all and end all. Graphic example (and Lola's pet peeve while at it)-:

View attachment 1229426

'Quiet' but also, let's go to town with the bling lol, plus the sole act of listing + publishing it.. I don't know who this person is (disclaimer) but it's basically the type of denial that seems to reign right now and that IS a trend, maybe more of a social trend than a fashion trend but still..

I take your point about the oxymoronic - and plain moronic - nature of broadcasting the trend called 'quiet' luxury, but that's Giovanna Battaglia (now Engelbert), the grey tshirt with pile of bling on top IS very quiet for her considering she's a creative director at, of all places, Swarovski. Given what her style (even before the circus that 'street style' became in the 2010s) was like, I can let it slide in this specific instance as an attempt to adapt a trend to suit her taste, I mean the attached pics is what it's normally like:

(still ridiculous to see tacky celebs trying to semaphore themselves as sophisticated fashion people by dressing in head-to-toe Khaite or The Row though, you can buy an entire shop full of CdG mainline, Yohji, Issey, Dries, The Row, JPG etc, join the "it's vintage" arms race and still be tacky)

giovanna-battaglia-milan-fashion-week-spring-2018-street-style-day-1-moeez-ali.jpg giovanna-battaglia-paris-fashion-week-street-style-spring-2018-1.jpg

She's a very one-dimensional, limited stylist either.
just look at her outfits above - even a random window display person at urban outfitters will do a better job than this.

like it or not, she has a recognisable style and had it since before Fashion Week "street style" blew up into the circus it is now and the Urban Outfitters window display person of 2013 was likely to be using her as a template.

(I suspect you aren't speaking of her magazine work from her editorial days, which was at Vogue Gioello or Vogue Pelle anyway, she's one of those people definitely more known for her outfits than her editorials)

No way haha I need to catch up with fashion news to know where NOT to look. But yeah, that makes sense, she always had horrific style. I honestly only ever recognized it in the early 00s streetstyle blogs like right, that's the one who was a Prada sailor yesterday and she's Alice in Wonderland via Marchesa today. It was always some tacky costume, can't say we ever learned much about her 'style'.. her style is whatever was pushed by brands each season.

No way haha I need to catch up with fashion news to know where NOT to look. But yeah, that makes sense, she always had horrific style. I honestly only ever recognized it in the early 00s streetstyle blogs like right, that's the one who was a Prada sailor yesterday and she's Alice in Wonderland via Marchesa today. It was always some tacky costume, can't say we ever learned much about her 'style'.. her style is whatever was pushed by brands each season.

yeah I mean.....I'm not making a comment on whether her look was good or bad, just that it was recognisable and consistent, and seeing her in all grey loose stuff is a bit....unusual.I mean, her late 00s/early 2010s fashion week style was like this (images from thesartorialist.blogspot.com and pinterest)

Jun2010MilanThesartorialistGiovanna.jpg 24727_357333134495_45718604495_3484425_2270530_n.jpg 341.PFWD4WT12wp_large.jpg Giovanna Battaglia.jpg 5097212122_93e95397b1_b_large.jpg Giovanna_Battaglia_3.jpg

Overpriced designers ugly bags
Brainless
I truly hate that
Plus alive some of those looks ultra cheap

Chanel flap/boy bag and it's gazillion reiterations from other brands. I find it just as tacky as the neverfull from lv.

Okay true that was not nice lol. But I still am tired of camp collar shirts

"Upcycled" clothes and jewellery made from people's older pieces.

I understand the good intentions but every single end result I've seen so far is so hideous it makes me question whether the intended customer will ever willingly wear it or just says so to spare the 'upcycler's feelings, think the "homemade from an older vintage dress" prom dress from that Pretty in Pink movie but more expensive. And is that really any less wasteful than just keeping the original intact? At least jewellery can be melted down and reused into basically infinity but with clothes, becoming an ugly 'repurposed' skirt is a particularly tragic end of the road.

(I like well-done patchwork but this isn't it)

long jeans skirt in 00's vibe

oh yeah those are hideous, can they just die already. If I want to wear a long skirt I'd rather wear one that isn't made of stiff fabric (denim).

Same with the cargo skirts, they look stupid. I'd rather just wear the trousers or even cargo shorts, they're better than this.

Barbie-core (unless you look like Margot Robbie and you're promoting the Barbie movie)
Cropped tops (especially if it's a knit or a collared, button-down shirt)
Blazers over a bra w/ no shirt (or with no shirt, for men, like Lola mentioned)
knit vests with no shirt underneath or with a short-sleeved t-shirt underneath
Raffia bags
statement sneakers
bag charms
tying a scarf to the handle of your bag

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back